How to get to Xcalak?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dbosullivan

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've been reading about the Chinchorro banks, and it sounds like a great location.
I believe the closest town is Xcalak- does anyone know the best way to get there from one of the major Yucatan gateways (Cancun/Cozumel/PDC)?
Any flights into Chetumal from the US? That seems to be the closest airport

Also any recommendations re: accomodation/dive shops/ops?
Thanks in advance

Getting to Xcalak - There are no direct international (US) flights to Chetumal. You would need to connect in Cancun or Mexico City. Best cost is usually in to Cancun and drive south. The roads are good with the road being increased to 4 lanes in many parts.
There is also bus service from Cancun - ADO bus

Chinchorro Banks is excellent diving. It is located about 20 - 35 miles off shore of either Mahahual or Xcalak (same distance).

Diving in Xcalak - try XTCdivecenter.com
Diving in Mahahual - try Bucanerosdiving.com
Both offer service to Chinchorro

Accommodations run the range - basic rooms to suites with kitchens or rent a house. try xcalak.info

The road from Mahahual to Xcalak is a dirt road through swampland, so you should have a good car and not be afraid of flat tires.... The bus between Mahahual and Xcalak runs twice a day. Also, the lodging in Xcalak was in my opinion not as priceworthy as in Mahahual, not to mention that the bottom of the sea is very muddy; you will not want to swim there. The beach is also very dirty, full of trash. I would deffinitely go for Mahahual, there was several good grocerystores, good tacos and local food in the backyard of a house, and plenty of places to stay for a good price. The beach is also clean. I´m not 100% sure, but I believe that there was no active diving centre in Xcalak, but this might be wrong. From Mahahual you could at least get to chinchorro. This is my experince, was there in August. I hope this helps!

Having visited Xcalak this past July and numerous times in the past, I have to say that the road from Mahahual to Xcalak is paved and easy traveling. This "new road" has been open for years. No need to take the slow "old beach road" as it no longer connects Mahahual and Xcalak (last I heard the bridge over the Rio Huach has not been repaired.)

Accomodations in Xcalak are outstanding and vary in price to suit almost any budget from rustic cabanas to luxury suites.

Beach areas vary as well, so I wouldn't make broad generalizations, but I wouldn't consider any of them "dirty". Some areas have more turtle grass than others, which I believe are healthy for aquatic life.

Xcalak has several fine dining establishments, grocery trucks delivering essential items right to your door and an A-1 diving facility, see article below: http://www.locogringo.com/spotlight.cfm
Hopefully this will explain the Chinchorro mystique.

What Xcalak is lacking is cruise ship passengers stopping by the thousands every week.

Is Xcalak for everyone? No. This is a remote area with a low-key vibe. Do I have a bias towards Xcalak? I"ll be the first to admit I do. We thought enough of the area to buy some land for retirement and with the reputation for excellent diving, our whole family became certified divers as well. Looking forward to diving Chinchorro when the time is right.

I'd be happy to answer any questions that I can about Xcalak.

Thanks for the info Vetdrm. My wife and I are heading to that area later this winter. We have done a good bit of research on the area, but can always use more insight. PM me if you have time to answer some questions...Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom