How to extract dive history summary from Shearwater Cloud

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wibble

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Have several hundred dives in Sheawater Cloud. Would like to extract the summary information so I could sling it into Excel to categorise, e.g. All dives last year what's the total time, average depth, etc.

For a bonus I'd love to get the amount of time spent at decompression (e.g. for every dive deeper than 30 mins, how much time did it take to leave the bottom and get to the surface.

Would Subsurface do this?

BTW am happy with Shearwater cloud as I've three Shearwater dive computers; I like being able to use it on Mac, iPhone, iPad. I just want to find out a bit more summary info.

Have several hundred dives in Sheawater Cloud. Would like to extract the summary information so I could sling it into Excel to categorise, e.g. All dives last year what's the total time, average depth, etc.

For a bonus I'd love to get the amount of time spent at decompression (e.g. for every dive deeper than 30 mins, how much time did it take to leave the bottom and get to the surface.

Yes, I believe Subsurface would do this, or at least most of this. So the easiest route might be to export your Shearwater Cloud data and import it into Subsurface. Subsurface works just fine with Shearwater computers.

There are lots of different ways Subsurface can parse the data. I'm away from my computer at home that's running Subsurface, but here are a few of the things I can get from Subsurface Mobile running on my phone.

There's a Dive Summary screen that gives the following in any of the following timeframes (two displayed at at time: All, 1 month, 3 months, 6 months, 1 year.
Total dives
Total EAN dives
Total Deep dives
Dive plans
Total time
Max time
Average time
Max depth
Average Max depth
Min SAC
Max SAC

In addition to the Dive Summary screen, there is also a Statistic module that lets you analyze in many different ways. Just about every field in the log can be grouped and analyzed in some fashion.
BTW am happy with Shearwater cloud as I've three Shearwater dive computers; I like being able to use it on Mac, iPhone, iPad. I just want to find out a bit more summary info.
I use Subsurface for both my Shearwater and Garmin computers, and my daughters use with their Oceanic computers. Works just fine on our iPhones, iPads, and MacBooks.

If you can download the data to Shearwater Cloud Desktop, you should be able to import it into 3rd party applications on Mac and Windows.

In Shearwater Cloud, highlight the dives you want to look at and choose your export format. Import to Excel and manipulate, or into some other dive program and manipulate.

Alas when exporting multiple dives in CSV format, it creates one file per dive, each with the first two rows with the summary -- max depth, duration, etc. and subsequent rows containing the 10 second samples, e.g. several hundred rows, with depth, TTS, cell voltages, CNS, etc.

Although, being a Mac user, if I run this shell command to extract the second line from each file...
Bash:
 for f in ExportedFilenames*.csv ; do head -n 2 $f | tail -n 1 >> DiveSummary.csv; done
... I get just what I wanted :)

Many thanks.

Tagging on to this thread.

Can the export from Shearwater cloud be done via the shearwater app on mobile? Does one need to be on the computer based platform?

Tagging on to this thread.

Can the export from Shearwater cloud be done via the shearwater app on mobile? Does one need to be on the computer based platform?
From what I see on my iPad and iPhone, there's no export functionality on Shearwater Cloud.

On the desktop version -- am assuming a pee-sea works like a Mac -- click on the file icon to export:
1674844808710.png

It's kind of par for the course with phones and tablets. They're not particularly good with files, certainly not in Apple's walled garden.

Back
Top Bottom