How to dress for Costa Rica???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JHAM

Reaction score
I wonder if anyone out there can help me. I am preparing for a trip to Costa Rica this month. I need to get some idea of what the water temp is so that I know which exposure suit to pack.

I'm hearing a lot of different opinions ranging from 3mil shorty to a full 2 piece with hood and gloves.

I was planning on taking:
1). 3 mil long 1 piece suit
2). 3 mil gloves and hood (just in case, and beside they don't take up toomuch room)

If you have been there before, preferably in December, could you share some advice with me? I greatly appreciate the help.

Have you been yet? If you have, would love to know where you went and how you liked it. More important, what thickness exposure suit you ended up using.

I'll be going over the x'mas holidays. I did some research and found out that water temps can be anywhere between 70 and 85. I'll be bringing my 3 mm and 7 mm just to be sure.

We are heading to the Papagayo Gulf in the countries North West. Staying at the El Nakuti resort. I have heard some things on the water temp and air temp as well. I have decided to wear my 3 mil suit and take along a hood as well as a hood/vest combination. If the water proves to be too cold I will use the vest so that my chest will have a full 6 mils of protection.

Last May, its in the NW corner of CR 45 min from Liberia. May is CR's winter season and i was waring a shorty 4 mil. tell your dive boat operator to take you to the catalina ilands. you are gona see some mantas and you mite even get a ride from one. PM me and I can give you some e-mail address's to some locals that live there.

Mike

Thermal comfort is somewhat idiosyncratic. To put it in perspective, below is a piece, in part, from my June '00 "Ask RSD" column in "Rodale's Scuba Diving":

"Have you ever been out on the street in the spring or fall and noticed people wearing everything from shorts & T-shirts to full coats with hats & scarves, all apparently in comfort? Well, things are no different underwater. This comfort is highly variable among individuals depending on such factors as percentage of body fat, age & tolerance to thermal discomfort. Other determinants, like how many dives a day over how many days you are planning, are also important. When you ask "What wetsuit should I wear?, you'll get answers ranging all the way from "just a bathing suit" through "5 mm full."

The question is better asked: "What water temps can I anticipate at my destination?" You'll receive a pretty accurate answer to this, and then can decide what's best for you based on your personal thermal comfort needs.

It's always a good idea to come thermally prepared, just in case."

That having been said, expect Pacific Costa Rica scuba temps this time of year of ~79 degrees plus/minus a degree, although under a thermocline it could be ~73 degrees plus/minus a degree. Personally, if was doing multiple dives over multiple days at that temp, I'd take a 5mm full. If you get a bit too warm during a dive, you can always let some water into the suit. Much harder to warm up.

You're going to have such a good time.

DocVikingo

Excellent answer DocV.... and you didn't even suggest riding mantas like someone else did :rolleyes:

I want to thank all of you for your excelent advice.

I have returned from my trip, it was great.

The water temp was 8- degrees most days. I was able to get away with just a 3 mil wet suit. On some days I was even over heating a little. I was able to control this by not wearing the hood.

On one day, the wind had shifted directions and the water temp droped to 75 degrees. Naturally I had to put the hood back on that day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom