How To Do A Reverse (Back) Kick and Avoid Crashing into Corals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

With good buoyancy control, the right fins, and the situational awareness mentioned you can skim over the reef. Water goes around the coral. Just follow the water.

It's really valuable for any diver to be able to back kick effectively, and that usually does mean ditching the split fins. They're dumb anyhow.....

Some instructors like to teach backward frog-kick in bare feet, in a pool. That's not a bad approach. But I don't think anyone will have much luck back kicking with enough power or control to hold against a current, change momentum, etc... with full scuba gear on unless they have fins that work well.

One thing that I found very helpful was learning the motion laying face down on a coffee table with fins on in front of a mirror. That way you can learn to point your toes a bit as you extend your legs to keep the fin tips horizontal.

many divers have become proficient at avoiding collisions without needing a back kick. but as a new instructor, i'll vouch that being able to "hit the breaks" or back up without waving arms all over has been a valuable skill to have.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom