How to dive the non-Japanese way?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

All services in Japan are guaranteed 100% with no expectation of a tip. Diving is in the same form as any other service as the Japanese take it to the next level with small changing rooms, fresh water showers, hot green tea, and personalized dive master to take care of all of your needs. On Okinawa three dives will run you around $120 but that comes with the rental gear and a bento box (sushi) lunch. Just like I like full service gas stations once in a while, I like diving on a Japanese dive boat once in a while. Your gear is all loaded by the staff, and you are given a personalized dive brief in broken English. I have to laugh inside when I see a 90 lb Female Dive master trying load my steel 120 tanks. However, I always assist the Japanese Dive Masters as I divemaster for a second career. Everything gets simpler underwater for communicating as hand signals are the universal language. Japanese usually dive steel 100's but often they are not completely topped off so your dives are usually less than 40 minutes. They are always concerned about how much bar you have left in your tank. 300 bar is a full tank. Most Japanese tourist scuba divers are female and they have an extremely low SAC. So when they see a big American man; the Japanese divemaster immediately thinks you will be a air hog. The nice thing is that the Japanese divemasters give awesome tours as they have dove the sites every day and know where every annonome fish and Morey eel live. I find the service that the Japanese provide so enjoyable I have added it to my repotre' when I divemaster on American boats. I offer all of the Open Water divers to follow me on a tour underwater where I can keep an eye on them and assist them if needed. I also try to assist and provide 100% service just like the Japanese but keeping in mind that American's are independent and often like the liberty of exploring and venturing out by themselves.

300 bar is a full tank.

300 bar in Okinawa!! thats fantastic. In izu I get excited if the tanks are more than 190 bar!! In fact I'm going to Okinawa next week for a few days.... (I'm an air hog, would love 300) :D

when I dive on the Japanese boats in Okinawa and use their tanks, I'm lucky to get 2600 PSI...

Japanese usually dive steel 100's but often they are not completely topped off so your dives are usually less than 40 minutes. They are always concerned about how much bar you have left in your tank. 300 bar is a full tank.
300 bar in Okinawa!! thats fantastic. In izu I get excited if the tanks are more than 190 bar!! In fact I'm going to Okinawa next week for a few days.... (I'm an air hog, would love 300)
when I dive on the Japanese boats in Okinawa and use their tanks, I'm lucky to get 2600 PSI...

You guys are both right the full tank is 300 bar/3000psi but they are never fully topped off so they run 240bar/2400psi. The typical dive is 30 min for about 70 feet. But getting and paying for full service gas is worth it sometimes especially when the Japanese boats take you to unique spots such as where there are pygmy sea horses.

I think you might have your math off a bit. 3000 PSI is 204 bar - 300 bar is just a hair above 4300 PSI.

If you know any Japanese shops who fill their tanks to 300 bar, please let me know. I want to stay at least 1000 meters away from that place so when their tanks explode I'm outside of "danger close!" :D

300 bar? Cave fills reach Japan?! Often I get tanks at 160 bar or so from local shops - I usually swap them out until I get one with 180 bar+. 200 bar or more fills are a forgotten luxury!

From my experience here I've seen tanks at 2600 - 3000 PSI. Some of the J-Divemasters really do go the extra mile. I had a little laugh 2 days ago when I had a DM make me wait to get on the ladder to the boat while he took the fins off all his customers. WOW! Now that is service...

If any of you are near Osaka, there is an outfit here that rents tanks. (At least they used to).
(Google "Navy company Osaka")
The owner, Ted is also a really cool and laid back guy who speaks reasonable English.

This is a fascinating and educational thread! It brings to mind a post Dr. Bill once made, about buddying with a petite Asian tourist who held onto his hand throughout the entire dive.

We had some steel tanks that were baking in the sun, they were about 210 bar on the surface, and about 180 after submerging...

Sometimes you can get Aluminum tanks with true 200 bar fills in Izu. YMMV.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom