How to deal with farsightedness for macro shooting?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That is what I assumed too. Not sure if I want to go through LASIK just for the purpose of seeing a bit sharper for macro shooting :)

actually.. probably won’t help that much for macro...it’s more of a distance solution. You could still need reading glasses after lasik.

I have prescription mask with bifocals. I'm doing macro on the trip I'm on, my challenge is I'm nearsighted enough I can't see close up with my prescription. The challenge is with macro sometimes I'm looking for stuff in the range that the nearsighted part (main) of the lenses interferes, and the reading part it to small for good sighting ability. If my guide has pointed out the critter I'm just fine, but my spotting ability is now challenged somewhat.(My old non-bifocal was just fine although the very old prescription had changed and I broke the mask).
I'm going to see if I can get the bifocal part made larger, which will help me macro spotting and still have good far vision.
( hope this post is clear I'm trying to get it done cause I got to go on another dive in a few minutes.:))

:goodpost: that's what I do..Trident readers and glass glue. It really helps to have removable lenses on your mask so you can soak them in acetone if you want to change the position of the readers.

Get contacts, and be done. Same boat here never needed glasses until about 45, started with readers, then noticed that even farther away stuff was clearer. Night vision was better as well. Used drug store readers but got tired of the distortion when looking with eyes instead of turning head. I always thought my wife was nuts and i could never touch my eyes to put in/take out contacts but it really isn't that bad. I'm 52 now and I wear contacts 16hrs a day with no issues, I've even slept with them in a few times. I'm a plus 2 script so even if one or both washes out during a dive i can still read my pro plus 3.

Custom made masks are available in two versions: (i) inserts for close distance at the bottom (cheaper) and (ii) multifocal (better but more expensive). Wolfgang[/QUOTE:
There is a 3rd type of custom made mask which I use and work fine for me but maybe not for others: full corrective glass in the mask (not multifocal).
It works fine for me because I have +2 farsight and abour +1 near sight. So, with a full +2 mask I can see fine within the visibilty range underwater (even in clear waters). You can not see objects 50 m farther anyway (underwater). For me is easier than usin bi-focals or multifocals and such masks can be bought for about 50 bucks in amazon
Regards

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom