How to correctly hold the regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is utility in muscle memory and simplicity. When you hand a reg to another diver you grip by hose. Just keep it simple and do it that way all the time. On a remove replace hold by hose, very simple to purge after release of hose, simple twist of hand to purge. Muscle memory and simplicity matter.

There is utility in muscle memory and simplicity. When you hand a reg to another diver you grip by hose. Just keep it simple and do it that way all the time. On a remove replace hold by hose, very simple to purge after release of hoar, simple twist of hand to purge. Muscle memory and simplicity matter.
I don't think it's that hard to do two grips once you've had a little practice. If I pick up a knife or other tool to hand to someone, I grip it differently than if I were going to use it myself. It's not something I've had to consciously think about since I was a kid.

My basic open water instruction (1986) stressed buddy breathing. We were taught to keep a firm grip on the regulator itself, whether double hose reg (mouthpiece) or single stage reg (2nd stage), but, in the case of a single hose reg, to grip in such a way as to keep the purge button accessible to the OOA diver, while allowing you, yourself, to operate the purge button. You absolutely must maintain control of your reg; you might need to wrest it from a panicking diver. (The single hose regs we used in class were almost always Scubapro Adjustable/109 or Balanced Adjustable/156 second stages--so, very easy to maintain a firm grip.)

This is what I taught, too, to my daughters when I gave them their scuba intro when they were very young.

rx7diver

Thanks for the replies! I've been retracing my video watching, and this second video reinforced the view that the hose grip was preferred for some reason. The instructor uses it while demonstrating clearing the reg. It may just be a personal preference that I mistook for a recommendation...

In fact, once I noticed it, I started seeing it everywhere...

(15:40)

Of course, there are just as many videos showing holding the reg, so I began to wonder why the difference? I think the muscle memory hypothesis makes sense. I'm a big believer in developing habits so that an action becomes automatic.

I found the video that first brought it to my attention
At 0:45 the narrator mentions how the diver is covering the regulator when switching and after training at 3:40 he mentions how she's now holding the regulator "correctly". I've searched for videos on replacing the regulator and have found that instructors that show how to do it in neutral buoyancy tend to used the hose grip and those that demonstrate from a kneeling position tend to hold the reg itself. That's what got me wondering if it was agency or tech diving related.

You're probably right in that it's to reinforce correct technique when sharing the octopus, I should probably have thought of that :oops:

Wow.. haven't seen that video in 10 years. Would be cool if Mary was on this board. Sorry brought back old memories.

I think presenting the alternate by holding by the hose is the best method, since it allows people to quickly shake off all the weeds, muck, and algae that are hanging off the octo and mouthpiece because they forgot to stow it properly before they splashed. Seriously, I've lost track of how many folks I've seen with octos dragging along the floor.

I initially thought you were talking about sharing air, but you're just referring to removing and replacing? For remove/replace, I don't think it matters. I suppose holding by the hose gets you in the habit for the correct grip in shared air situations. Might also be easier for folks with small hands. On the other hand, holding by the body gives you quick access to the purge button.

For shared air:

I teach hose grip so the recipient has access to the purge button.

I don't think the grip is a formal part of the standard, but I also don't know any current instructors that teach anything but hose grip.

I'm curious what other grips are taught?

I should add that this presumes the donor is handing the second stage to the recipient. I'm aware that an alternative is to expect the recipient to get the second themselves.
I agree with this.
For non-air share situations I just grab the body of the 2nd stage, not the hose. Just seems more logical to me.
In fact to be honest, I don't recall training being to grab it by the hose for air share, but it's been a long time since I took OW & DM courses and demonstrated air share with an instructor.

I agree that the muscle memory for donating is a large part of it. But it doesn’t stop there. What about single handed reg switches? Or clipping off a primary when not in use? Both of these are performed best if the reg is held by the hose when removing and therefore it pays to form the habit.

For donation, I've been taught that if you are active (i.e. not getting mugged) the reg should already be being purged when presented to the mouth of the recipient.
  1. They can see that they are getting air
  2. They are less likely to end up sucking water if they don't clear it themselves.
That pretty much requires a case-hold.

[Edited extensively for clarity]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom