How to conserve air???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm sure that there are many that will disagree with this.

You can use enhanced air Nitrox. Aside of the acknowledged bottom time extensions, some people including myself have found it useful for reducing gas consumption. Other people who have lung issues from smoking or are older also seem to find it beneficiary.

I am still collecting statistics, but the trend with me seems to be after two OW training dives, I will have between 750 -1000 psi left in an AL80 that was filled with air at 3000 psi. With EAN36 (36 % oxygen) I will have between 500-750 psi left in an AL80 after three training dives that was also filled at 3000 psi .

When instructing, I have found that I use up more air than normal. I cannot make more than 2 training dives on one AL80. So, if the circumstances call for it, the only way I can safely do 3 without changing tanks is with EAN36. Some of the older instructors that I aware of use up to EAN40.

So, if nothing else helps you, you can try nitrox and see what happens.

Just try to be calm in the water, that's what helped me

Thanks for all of your replies. I finished my certification today and am now official. I did practice on my breathing by taking the deep breaths and letting the exhale out slowly, seemed to prolong my air. I started with 2800psi and after both dives I had 800, while my wife and the three smallest people in the class had less air than i did.
On a side note, while equalizing my ears, My left ear takes longer to equalize than my right, but did notice that while doing a horizontal descent compared to what the instructors mailny have you do, ( the veritcal descent)both of my ears equalized fairly easily. The vertical position gives me fits on my left ear, i usually have to hover between 8-10 ft for a minute to get the left to feel right. why does horizantal seem to work better?

Glad to hear it welcome to the other 3/4 of the earth! Your neck is stretched out when in the horizontal position! Stretching the neck makes clearing much easier!

Welcome to diving!!!

Well, you don't really "conserve" air. You want to breathe as much as your body needs, for what it is doing. Perhaps you meant to ask "how do I reduce my air consumption"? A good question.

First, I don't see how you are 300+ lbs at 5'-11" and in shape (not being mean, just an observation). Are you a football player, perhaps? Well, all that body mass has to be fed, and has to have blood pumping to it. The blood takes the oxygen to the cells, and simultaneously takes the CO2 away (along with the nitrogen). Long story, short, you might first try dropping some weight.

On the other hand, let's say you're solid muscle. Still has to be taken care of, from a respiration standpoint. Big people burn more air, period.

All of the above tips are on the right track, though. With experience comes comfort. With comfort comes more relaxed breathing (not the constant state of heightened awareness and almost panic). With that, less consumption.

Another huge thing noone has mentioned is your exposure suit. Quite simply, if you're cold, your body spends time breathing more rapidly, which majorly impacts your air consumption. So if you are the LEAST bit cold, put more of a wetsuit on.

Another thing noone has mentioned is for you to stay slightly above everyone else. Your consumption rate is also impacted by how deep you are, in relation to everyone else. The deeper you are, the higher your consumption rate.

But like everyone said, don't fret about it for now. Get about 50 dives under your belt, dive with the same set of gear all the time so you can get comfortable with it (I recommend getting your own for this very reason), and try to relax a little.

Also, as others have stated, try and move as efficiently as possible under water. Basically this means move as little as possible. Let the gear do the work!!!

And have fun!!!

Dr WU, not to the point of the thread and damn rude as well! I don't remember anyone asking you????? So is your head!

You know the funny thing is Whales seem to do pretty well for Fat Animals! There is no evidence that in SCUBA a big person can't conserve air or energy? But not the posters point or question! At least dp was diplomatic about it!

Have to generally disagree with the statements about Nitrox. I use it, too, and instruct on it's use. However, there is a bit of a misconception that it reduces the consumption rate. The air consumption formula has no provision for gas mixes....80 cf is 80 cf. But, alas, this isn't the forum for that. But I must respectfully disagree with telling a new diver that using Nitrox reduces consumption. Sorry, but no scientific basis for this, to my knowledge.

I'm sure that there are many that will disagree with this.

You can use enhanced air Nitrox. Aside of the acknowledged bottom time extensions, some people including myself have found it useful for reducing gas consumption. Other people who have lung issues from smoking or are older also seem to find it beneficiary.

I am still collecting statistics, but the trend with me seems to be after two OW training dives, I will have between 750 -1000 psi left in an AL80 that was filled with air at 3000 psi. With EAN36 (36 % oxygen) I will have between 500-750 psi left in an AL80 after three training dives that was also filled at 3000 psi .

When instructing, I have found that I use up more air than normal. I cannot make more than 2 training dives on one AL80. So, if the circumstances call for it, the only way I can safely do 3 without changing tanks is with EAN36. Some of the older instructors that I aware of use up to EAN40.

So, if nothing else helps you, you can try nitrox and see what happens.
@themons: :confused:Divers can improve gas consumption by using nitrox? I've never heard of anyone making such a statement. If you are collecting statistics for purposes of testing your hypothesis, I would hope that you are doing blinded studies AND for safety reasons managing profiles so as to:
(a) not exceed the MOD of the richest nitrox blend in the study and
(b) not exceed the NDLs for the gas with the lowest oxygen content (air).

Are there any respiratory physiologists out there who want to argue that breathing EAN36 will drive down carbon dioxide levels in blood enough to significantly decrease breathing rate (relative to a diver breathing regular air)? That's really the only way I see this working since the volume per breath should remain constant regardless of the composition of the gas. Until I see the data, I'll remain skeptical.

[Edited later: Just saw that dpaustex was expressing the same views on nitrox. I need to learn to type faster!]

Last edited:
Well then it maybe a matter of comfort as my longest dives have been on 32% and 36% and have to tell you that more O2 in the lunges better exchange and better performance, I experience way fewer headaches, and have never had a dry mouth on Nitrox! I am a Geezer Gas fan all the way! :wink:

So remind me why we give DCS victims pure O2?

Back
Top Bottom