How to clean mask clear silicone

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

akeegan2

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
First of all, yes, I clean my masks. Got to have something on me that looks new. :)

Just got a new TUSA Tri-Ex clear crystal silicone mask. I'd like to know how to clean lake scum off the silicone itself (not the glass). I've tried soaking in Joy for a few minutes, then working the soapy silicone with my fingers, but the scum remains. The only way that works for me is to rub a DRY mask between my fingers to polish the silicone. Too tedious. Read somewhere to spray it with silicone spray and wipe it dry, but I won't do that without some confirmation from the board that that's okay to do. Same with toothpaste.

Surely there is some magic product out there that will work.

Just got a new TUSA Tri-Ex clear crystal silicone mask. I'd like to know how to clean lake scum off the silicone itself (not the glass).

I dive in lakes all the time and haven't ever had anything that wouldn't come off my mask with just a rinse or maybe a little toothpaste and water.

I'd be more concerned about what you're diving in than how to get it off the mask.

If you had more information about what "lake scum" is, it would be easier to figure out what to clean it with.

flots.

Maybe scum is too strong a word. Film might better describe it.

I dive central Texas lakes. Warm water; popular dive spots. Rather than be 'crystal' clear after I wash and rinse the mask, it's more of a haze that only comes off with my fingers on a dry mask.

IT has nothing to do with the lake you dive, it's just what silicone skirts do with time. It's probably oxidation, because all my masks have done that and yes, you can clean it off buy giving it a good rubbing but it will just come back.

Back
Top Bottom