how to change to spring straps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello, I have XS Scuba Power Fins and recently bought some XS Scuba Spring straps. They seem pretty easy to put on BUT how do you take the old straps off? Do you have to drill out the grommets?

I don't know about the XS fins, but I had to cut the old straps off my jet fins.

Just watched the LDS put a spring strap on my jet fin today. He pushed on one end of the pin to try and make a little space on the other side of it and then cut the pin with heavy wire snippers. Pulled the 2 pieces of pin out and put in the spring strap.

The new pin then had to be "twisted" I think the term was and you do that by tapping the ends with a hammer and awl I believe

Yep, cut the old pin out. Have big, old side cuts for just such jobs.

The XS Scuba Spring straps have pins with threads. Once you get it screwed in, use LocTite on it, a little bit in the hole before you thread it and make sure the exposed end is covered. Let dry and you're done.

I was, with much trembling, sweating and swearing, able to use a pair of pliers (two, actually, and perhaps a hammer) to pop the hinge off the pin.

Glad I only have to do it once per set of fins!

WOW! I cant believe that is Halcyon's way of doing it.

If it works , great, but from all the times I have heard the term "points of failure" that sure looks like one to me.

Are there screws that go in each end? What it looks like comparison wise is how you put on a watch band with little spring pressure clamps. I sure wouldnt want my fin straps secured on like that.

What am I missing here??

RICHinNC:
WOW! I cant believe that is Halcyon's way of doing it.
well if halcyon says that is the way, any other way will cause you to die so you best employ their methods explicitly and immediately.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom