How to buy a new boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JustinW

Contributor
Reaction score
It seems to be common knowledge of how to buy a car, we know that in most prices the price is negotiable. So, Once we have decided on the boat we want to purchase, what next? Are there certain times of year that the prices are best, that dealers will want to move boats the most, options to avoid. Galvinized or painted trailer better? When dealing on a boat, is the list price, the price, or is that fluid? Should charges like dealer prep and freight be rejected? What are the margins on a boat and how much can one expect to pay and be getting a good deal.? BTW, I'm looking at a North River Seahawk 20 with the outboard mounted off the swim platform.

http://www.boattraderonline.com

I never buy a new car or new boat for the same reason. Galv. trailer is better than painted steel. Dual axel trailer is better than single. Winter or late fall is a good time to buy if you can find what you want. Shop around and compare prices. With a used boat you can get some great deals on all the extras a boat needs.

JustinW:
It seems to be common knowledge of how to buy a car, we know that in most prices the price is negotiable. So, Once we have decided on the boat we want to purchase, what next? Are there certain times of year that the prices are best, that dealers will want to move boats the most, options to avoid. Galvinized or painted trailer better? When dealing on a boat, is the list price, the price, or is that fluid? Should charges like dealer prep and freight be rejected? What are the margins on a boat and how much can one expect to pay and be getting a good deal.? BTW, I'm looking at a North River Seahawk 20 with the outboard mounted off the swim platform.

Once you have decided on the boat you want, start by checking prices at all the nearest dealers (if you are buying brand new). Ask about incentives at each shop. If your brand of boat has an owners club check that out - those are the best resources you will find. Bayliner has an owners club, I think Sea Ray does, I would assume they exist for other brands as well. Check these web sites to get an idea on the customer service experience at your dealer of interest.

Will you be trailering, mooring, or slipping your boat? If mooring for example you may be able to get a deal on a bottom paint job for example.

--Matt

I agree with 2Dive4Fun...there are literally thousands upon thousands of boats for sale loaded with all of the electronics, etc. As long as you purchase one with low motor hours, and a fiberglass hull, there shouldn't be much to worry about. There are several boat lines that are inferior simply because they produce boats as fast as McDonald's produces burgers, and these are the lines you should stay away from. It seems you already have selected the boat of your choice, but if you want info on the good and bad based upon my observations in my locale I'll be glad to give it to you...but we may start a war among others who post. But thats OK, as one of my dive buddies told me "If you're going to dive with alligators you have to be thick skinned"

I posted the question about buying a new boat as I thought it would help a lot of people, as well as myself. Also, the brand I am looking at has excellent resale value, it almost isn't worth buying used because the prices are the same. Boattrader.com, since I have been monitoring it has had a grand total of 15 used boats at once tops in the brand I want nationwide. They aren't the model I want and the one that was the same model was 11 years old selling for about 90% of the price of a brand new boat with a more fuel efficient powerhead. I have considered all of those ideas and for my situation, buying new is likely the best alternative, but thank you for posting that information, as the information on buying used will also add to the discussion.

ranger:
....There are several boat lines that are inferior simply because they produce boats as fast as McDonald's produces burgers, and these are the lines you should stay away from.....QUOTE]

Sustained volume actually means high quality, otherwise a company would be taking losses.

If the quality of a particular brand was bad they would not have sustained sales - period. If you make a good boat, as evidenced by your sales and particularly repeat sales, you can then buy engines, materials, etc. in bulk at a lower cost - i.e. economy of scale - which allows for better pricing over brands that are unable to sell with similar volume.

--Matt

Buying a used boat is not like buying a used Honda Accord. There are many, many, many more items on boats that you need to check, especially if the previous owner didn't take care of it.

mike_s:
Buying a used boat is not like buying a used Honda Accord. There are many, many, many more items on boats that you need to check, especially if the previous owner didn't take care of it.

That's an important point - I would never buy a used boat without a marine survey. A marine survey costs the same as a house survey - about $350 in Massachusetts anyway - so they are not cheap. Definitely important and worth the money though.

--Matt

If new is on your mind then be as educated on competitive pricing as you can and work with a prefered local dealer. Late Fall or winter when sales slow down and next year models are being introduced your local dealer can order a previous or current year boat at a reduced rate from the Mfg. or surplus at a second dealership. Have a good understanding of competitive cost for high ticket accessories, ie. kicker motor, sonar, depth sounder, canvas tops, and negotiate with dealer to include them in a package price. Do a Google search and find dealers who sell this brand and model. Contact each with a wish list of what you want. Let the bidding begin and see if your local dealer will be in the same price range. A dealer will drop the price to gain a sell as long as there is competitive information available.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom