Question How to behave after uncontrolled ascent

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The answer is "it depends"

In short, I think you'd probably reach an "equilibrium" at some pressure and volume of air, but that'll be radically different based on equipment and trim in the water.

You really don't know and are telling this guy what you think. Well, (I think) it is my understanding anyway, that the dump should work as fast or faster than the inflate.

Rather than listen to people on the internet who really don't know....
It is VERY easy to test on your own gear, just press the deflate and inflate buttons both at one time. Does the BC inflate? In my experience - no. I suspect, from a safety standpoint, they are specifically engineered to deflate faster.

This is not really a trivial issue, (like many of the topics which are discussed). I have had inflators stick and keep inflating slowly and it is more of an annoyance than an emergency. Never had one just start blasting air into the BC at 100% maximum rate, but I suppose it will happen in some situations.

The Schroeder valve hoses are lower flow than a 5/16" regulator hose.

Not always. Those connectors can be difficult to disconnect and connect, frequently requiring two hands, even on a drysuit inflate.

The plastic "hose hat" can slide off the ferrule when it sticks.
Correct on the first point, about inflator-hoses being lower-flow than regulator-hoses.

--

I specifically talked about disconnect (not connect). For disconnect, and my own equipment, I can disconnect with one hand if it's pressurized, and I often do that. Other people's equipment may have unique challenges, but I'm speaking in generalities.

It does also make connecting much easier, especially when pressurized (with 2 hands). Trying to connect a LP inflator hose pressurized normally can be a curse-word filled experience, I remember when I was a new diver having difficulty connecting the BCD hose, only to later realize "oh, it hard to do because it was pressurized."

I've never had the rubbery-hose-hat slip off, but you could always opt for one of those metalic-BCD-hoses/connectors linked.

You really don't know and are telling this guy what you think. Well, (I think) it is my understanding anyway, that the dump should work as fast or faster than the inflate.

Rather than listen to people on the internet who really don't know....
It is VERY easy to test on your own gear, just press the deflate and inflate buttons both at one time. Does the BC inflate? In my experience - no. I suspect, from a safety standpoint, they are specifically engineered to deflate faster.

This is not really a trivial issue, (like many of the topics which are discussed). I have had inflators stick and keep inflating slowly and it is more of an annoyance than an emergency. Never had one just start blasting air into the BC at 100% maximum rate, but I suppose it will happen in some situations.
You don't need to be rude.

What I'm talking about comes partially from experience, and partially from physics. If you've used a variety of wings (I have) you'll know not all wings deflate the same way. You'll also know trim affects how easily a wing deflates.

It's quite interesting to see you state that you "have had inflators stick and keep inflating slowly..." considering what you were arguing against earlier.

I was diving with a rented equipment, and at around 20 meters after 10-11 mins of diving my BCD started inflating uncontrollable (I checked everything before the dive, it was ok). I tried to get attention of our guide, but he didn’t understand. I closed the tank halfway to the surface (I know I should’ve detached the inflator hose, but everything was to fast and I only thought about closing the tank). So I ascended to the surface in 25-30 seconds, my guide ascended and told me to go back on a boat, so I did. My teeth and ears hurt like s**t. On the boat deckman just gave me a painkiller, said that it’s “a bad luck” and changed the BCD and since that time no one gave me any attention, they only asked me if I’m going for our second dive, which I said no to. When we went back to harbour, I was asked for full payment ( for rental and dives), I argued a bit and payed only for the dive.
So, can anyone help to understand was it normal behaviour of the diving centre or what else could be done. I know that ascending from 20 meters after 10 minutes of diving isn’t lethal, but I was kinda a bit frustrated about the whole situation and the lack of attention I received.
You should've gone on O2 as soon as you got on board the boat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom