How to become an ex-pat 101

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RumBum

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This may sound silly, but moving overseas is very overwhelming.

I am tired of Uncle Sam hovering over my shoulder. I am ready to move away from the US, but I have to admit that I would like to go somewhere with good diving as well as with some of the conveniences of civilization (fast food, high speed internet, reliable electricity and water). I am not afraid of a few inconveniences. Do you find a place you want to move to, and then find a job there? Do you find a job and move there temporarily to see if you like it? I have pets, cars, furniture that I want to bring with me, what do I do about that?

Any advice you can give as a jumping-off point would be helpful.

Thanks!

I think you might have to identify first which countries you are interested in moving to, then research each country's requirements/laws as to non-citizens residing and working there.

I don't have any personal experience, but I know some people that have wanted to relocate to various foreign countries (primarily in Europe). They have found that staying (legally) beyond the few months allowed to tourists is not as easy as just finding a job and a place to live.

Not sure, but it seems that the easiest way is to have a job with a company that also has offices in the city/country you're wanting to move to.

As a more or less permanent ex-pat, I feel qualified to comment.
The major issue is really a skills evaluation and their worth in the country of destination and this really does vary drastically.
In Europe many skilled manual jobs actually pay quite well whereas in many markets they will only generate a very low salary.
Here in Brazil for example the ratio between a good salary and a bad salary can be as much as 60:1. (say senior manager to street cleaner).
Then there's the issue of language.
Do you only speak English? That limits you to the English speaking world or working in a multi-national where English may be used in any country.
Many countries will only let you work if you have a work permit and you may find you can only get a work permit if you have a job set up.
Pets can be a problem in some countries, UK for example with strict quarantine regulations and long periods.
It's rarely worth taking a car to another country, servicing difficulties and parts availability see to that. It may look like the same car but under the hood it may all be different and you may have to meet different exhaust emission regulations during an annual check to licence it.
In a lot of countries importing wood (furniture) is a complicated process and may have to be defumigated (against insects) first and a certificate issued.
Do you have enough money to set up a business and employ others? This can be a door opener in many countries.

miketsp:
The major issue is really a skills evaluation and their worth in the country of destination and this really does vary drastically.
My husband is an IT genius, however I only have experience in paper-shuffling.

miketsp:
Do you only speak English?That limits you to the English speaking world or working in a multi-national where English may be used in any country.
Many countries will only let you work if you have a work permit and you may find you can only get a work permit if you have a job set up.
yep. English. no hablo espanol bueno. I think I would learn quickly, though. What is a multi-national? If I find a job over the internet, would they be likely to help me get the work permits?

miketsp:
It's rarely worth taking a car to another country, servicing difficulties and parts availability see to that. It may look like the same car but under the hood it may all be different and you may have to meet different exhaust emission regulations during an annual check to licence it.
I have a Jeep; if I move somewhere 3rd world I really will want my Jeep.

miketsp:
Do you have enough money to set up a business and employ others? This can be a door opener in many countries.
Unfortunately, I don't see that happening.

BTW - I am thinking not really of Europe or UK but more of the caribbean, or Mexico, or BVI or something along those lines.

Thanks!
Melissa

RumBum:
BTW - I am thinking not really of Europe or UK but more of the caribbean, or Mexico, or BVI or something along those lines.

Thanks!
Melissa

Belize allows you to come and stay as long as you like. You have to renew your tourist visa every 30 days for a fee and after a year you can apply for permanent residence. This can take over a year to finalize. With that, you can legally work. They also just changed the land buying law to where even foreigners only pay 5% tax. It used to be 15%.

RumBum:
..snip..
yep. English. no hablo espanol bueno. I think I would learn quickly, though. What is a multi-national? If I find a job over the internet, would they be likely to help me get the work permits?
..snip..

A multi-national is a company that operates with branches in many countries.
At the moment I work for a company with head office in France but has branches in dozens of other countries. The standard language within this French company and most other multi-nationals is English and many meetings are in English as necessary. We have dozens of people here that don't speak a word of the local language when they come.
I worked for a large company in Sweden and never managed to learn any Swedish. The moment I opened my mouth to try to utter something in Swedish everyone would change to English.

Yes, many companies will help you with formalities of work permits if you have skills they require and are having difficulty to obtain in their local market.
The last time I changed countries was through a CV I fired off to a company in another country, this met their requirements, I was interviewed near to my home at the time by one of their executives on a business trip and they paid my move and documentation costs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom