How to approximate amount of weight needed and weight placement

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What fins do you have? I was diving Power Planas and switched to Go Sports.
That's not far from me, AA County off 100 and 97. We are hoping to get Juturna back open by Spring. Matt got the law changed already, so the big challenge is over. Now it is just a matter of some construction and personality issues (the usual). Vis is beautiful for freshwater there most times. There are some other spots we're scouting and possibly some trips in the Bay for divers who are capable of handling the conditions.

I have a set of Genesis Coronados, they were part of the package I got for my OW class. They work well enough for me now. It will be nice to have Juturna open next spring, a lot closer then the other places.

You might want to look at Estimated Diving Weight Calculator | DiveBuddy.com to get an initial estimate for weight requirements based on various thermal protection, tank, and salt/freshwater options. I am aware that his weight calculator does not work for everyone, but for me it hits pretty close to what I need within a pound in or so. Of course, the calculator does not factor in such things as fin buoyancy, regulator weight, flashlights, weight of emergency items that you routinely carry, so it will likely be a couple pounds in error one way or the other. I will fully admit that I am not a purist as far as weights are concerned, and always prefer being a couple pounds over "perfectly weighted" and avoid the risk of being underweighted.
Edit. I use HOG 10# pockets on my HOG bp/w waist belt and use one XS Scuba/ with the velcro strip on pocket and one XS Scuba quick attach weight pocket on top cam band. With the quick attach pocket I can move it to lower cam band without messing with the cam band routing.

If you are correctly weighted in fresh water and want to jump in the ocean, just weigh yourself with all gear and add between 2.5 and 3% to allow for the increased buoyancy of the salt water.

Whatever weight you are and whatever volume you displace, you will have reached equilibrium in fresh water, buoyancy is the mass of the water displaced and that is equal to your mass kitted for fresh water. Salt water is 2.5 to 3% denser than fresh hence simply add enough weight to get to the 3% over fresh water weight.

So if all kitted up you weigh say 90 kgs then simply add 2.25 to 2.7 kgs and you will be OK.

If kitted and weighted for salt water and you want to dive fresh, just subtract the 2.5 to 3 %.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom