How to add a grab handle to freedom plate?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SaltyFrog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've seen a couple of different pictures here and there but didn't see a centralized thread.

Yes I can grab the two webbings but it's a bit awkward that way and when I grab it like that the whole rig tends to lean backward.

With other plates where there is an additional hole on the top portion of the plate, I use a thin webbing and a book screw to make a loop thus a "grab handle". It's pretty secure because I double the webbing, make a hole and put the book screw through it. That means there are actually four layers that's put through the book screw.

I thought of just putting the thin webbing through the top slot however I couldn't think of a way to make the loop closed securely (to handle the weight of the rig, which is a lot with a LP95).

Please show/tell me your innovative ideas!

This is what I use on my DiveRite plate

full

I see people shuffling stooped through car parks and along jetties with their arms elongating to chimp proportions with every second step and faces strained sinews pulling and wonder why they don't just throw their rig onto their shoulder and walk upright, normally, after all that is what a tank valve especially the J valve, and the soft bit that is between the shoulder and the neck are all for of course unless you are from one of those countries that prefer to use their heads

full.jpg

I run a barely perceptible string behind my top MMO, made my own, sta plate

I never worried about placing a grab handle on the plate anywhere like the ones they used to have on the old school backpacks. The whole idea is simplicity and minimization of superfluous fluff so I just grab the tank valve or straps and heft it up to where it needs to be up on a beach picnic table or what have you. Other than that I wear it on my back to get it to where it needs to go, from the car to the beach and in the water.
I suppose you could get some 1” webbing and figure out a way to lace it through the top slots somehow as long as it doesn’t interfere with the harness webbing. You could also figure out a way to maybe bolt a 1” webbing loop through the top hole or somehow through the top cap band slot and run it under the wing and out the top?

While mine have a carry handle on the BC, I don't really use it. As Eric noted above, I either use the strap on the plate if it's just the plate or plate mounted to the BC or I grab the tank valves if the tanks are attached. If I need to carry it some distance, I put it on. I always carry the heaviest part of the setup as that will put less strain on other areas of the rig. If you look close at mine, you can see the loops I have attached for my argon bottle on the left side of the plate. You could do something similar and just fold it down and out of the way when not in use. Anytime you start adding additional handles and cords, you may be introducing more issues depending upon how/where you dive.

80-img_1372_ad9a65f447aea29d82ab6e0fd2d5b7ffc9829e74.jpg

I just use the shoulder webbing as others have stated. Works fine, even with a heavy LP108 and "quick release" shoulder straps using plastic buckles. It does "lean back" some as you've said. I don't really carry it around like this. I'd either lift it onto my shoulder this way or put the thing into a cart of some sort. Due to the height of most tanks, carrying the rig from a top-mounted handle would make it very difficult to carry. It would require me to bend my arm the whole time I'm carrying it. Maybe not if you're really tall? I'm 5'9".

I am considering adding a 3/4 webbing strap loop to the top hole in the wing so I can hang the whole assembly on the tank at a consistent height until I tighten the tank bands. That would be useful on a rocking boat when doing the tank switch. My cam bands have unlocking clasps which I thought were a plus but not so much now.

My cam bands have unlocking clasps which I thought were a plus but not so much now.
I have similar bands and leave the top band connected but loose. It catches on the tank at the perfect height for me.

I thread a loop of paracord through the slots and tie the sliding knot.

Back
Top Bottom