How tight?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lord, the mask should NOT tighten at depth. That is why we use masks instead of goggles. You need to be able to equalize the space around your eyes, otherwise that would be terribly dangerous and bad and painful... I leave mine fairly loose, you don't want to leave red rings around your face.
so I guess just enough to hold suction, but your mask should also fit your face to where it doesn't need the strap. Play around with it, you'll find something that works, but too tight is really bad, and part of the "equalize early and often" thing is not only your ears, but your mask space too

The purpose of the strap is to keep the mask from falling off. Any tighter than that is too tight.

I like to let my mask compress a little as I descend for a good seal. But, if you clear it once at depth, you have equalized that space anyway. I have seen people come up with bloodshot eyes and red rings on their face and never realize they did it to themselves - that is too far.

I keep mine a little snugger than just enough to stay on to get it to seal well. But, my mask only fits sorta OK. I've tried on every mask at every dive shop I've ever been in and still haven't found one I really like. I wish someone had a service where they mold your face and make you a custom mask skirt. Not really sure why that isn't around.

If it leaves a mark on your face, it is too tight.

Underwater, the pressure will hold it against your face. However, if you will be snorkelling on the surface, then you need the strap to be firm enough to maintain the seal.

Note the word firm... not tight.

Great advice guys, thanks very much!

I've been fiddling with my mask and found that if too tight it was prettying against my forehead and causing pain... In-between my eyebrows. But just tightening to a secure "suction fit" it fits perfectly.

Thanks again everyone!
Colin

Good point and something I never thought of!

Hint: Don't pull it so tight that your hair stands up...

quikcolin.gif

:eyebrow:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom