How tight should a wetsuit be?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

swinchen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi All,

I was wondering how tight wetsuits should be? A friend and I just bought 7 mm Farmer John/Jacket (got a large based on the size chart from henderson) these are just Neosport (not hyperstrech). So when we put the Jacket on there is probably a three or four inch gap between the sides of the zipper (front zip) that need to be pulled together before it can be zipped. The overall feeling is "tight to very tight" we haven't had them in the water yet though, so that could change. We are noobs and need some help here :)

It is possible to get on, but we are worried about damaging the suit.

Thanks,
Sam

That seems way too tight. How is your breathing when it's on?

Breathing was ok. I could tell I was being squeezed but it wasn't labored at all. :/ I am afraid of getting an XLRG and having it be to big. hrm...

I guess the gap before zipping isn't that much. As long as you feel like you can breath comfortably your suit should be ok. IMO

I tried on the jacket again without the farmer john and even the jacket is tight. I think I will exchange it. crap. I am going 6 dives this weekend. Guess I get to rent again :)

If you are exchanging, you might just want to go for the hyperstretch. I switched years ago and it is UNBELIEVABLE!!! Worth the extra spent and the comfort and ease of getting it on and off...WOW! Better to rent then to dive with a suit that is too tight for you. Cutting off circulation creates you to be even colder down below.

Have fun!

If you are exchanging, you might just want to go for the hyperstretch. I switched years ago and it is UNBELIEVABLE!!! Worth the extra spent and the comfort and ease of getting it on and off...WOW! Better to rent then to dive with a suit that is too tight for you. Cutting off circulation creates you to be even colder down below.

Have fun!

I agree with this 100%. I have a Henderson hyperstretch and it's so comfy that sometimes I forget I have it on. Well worth it if you'll be diving a lot, IMHO.

What's your height & weight???.....On most charts 'I measure out' a XL but XXLs work great(on the last 2 3mm I bought)....Trial & error is the only way to go......

I think I will keep it. I tried an XL on again and there was lots of water movement... The large is just snug. Especially uncomfortable in the ... uh.. crotchal area :p

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom