How strong is the current?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

YCW

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Maybe a stupid question, but has been bugging me a long time. I have seen some people refer to strong current as 3 knots or more. When you are diving, how can you tell if the current is 3 knots, or 1, or maybe 2?

I just calssify them as no current, mild or strong :wink: .

Strongest current I've dived in, while holding onto the buoy line at my safety, my bubbles were all headed horizontally. On the surface the water was smooth as butter.

Are most currents at the very surface, a few feet down, or deeper? If I encounter a current on ascent on a boat dive, what should be my best plan of action?

I did a dive in Cozumel, forgot which site though..Tormentos maybe, but anyways...me and some dude got seperated from the group and we were zipping over the reef. We looked at each other and nodded in recognition of how fast we were going.

I have no idea how fast that was, but it sure was fun. First time I used my safety sausage in the field. I've always wondered how fast that was...

Current speed formula:

DS*1/3=ACS

DS=Diver's Story

ACS=Actual Current Speed

Jepuskar...I just returned from diving Tormentos in Cozumel. Currents were estimated by locals to be around 3 knots. Average is usually 2-3 in that area from what I was told. I was also told that around 4 could possibly occur.

I've never measured it there, so I just relied on local knowledge of the area. Even 2-3 knots in the water feels like you are really zipping along fast. Divers aren't usually going as fast as they think they are though in actual knots. It's a fun and very relaxing way to dive.

Rick Inman...we stayed at the Caribe Blu and did our dives with Blue Angel Dive Shop. Wonderful place to stay, and well-organized dive operation. Don't have any major complaints, and would highly recommend them!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom