How soon to dive after healing from sinus infection?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ben Prusinski

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Folks,

I had a sinus infection for a month and finally have overcome it and now have clear breathing and no more sinus nor ear pain. I can pop my ears outside of the water and no more nasal congestion. How long should I wait to get back to diving again? Thanks.

If you are no longer congested, your voice isn't nasal, and you are having no problems clearing, you are probably good to go. I would make your first dive shallow and in a place where you can abort if you want to; the worst part of sinus problems is reverse block.

I agree with TSandM. It's not a timing issue, it is a clearing issue. The idea of a "test dive" first, where you and your buddy can abbreviate or abort if necessary is a good one. I doubt you will have any real problems. However, also be sensitive to clearing on ascent as well as decent. I recall diving off Fort Lauderdale a few years ago while I was having some congestion issues. I got down with minimal difficulties on an 80 ft dive, but on ascent, it was trying to equalize constantly, and had difficulty. That was my last dive of the week. Others dove without me.
DivemasterDennis

Back
Top Bottom