How should fins fit on size 14s?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tank29

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello ScubaBoard!
This is my very first post, woo hoo! I have wanted to get certified to scuba dive for many years now, and I am finally doing it!! I'm very, very, very excited! I have a quick question about how my fins are supposed to fit. I bought a pair of Apollo Bio Fin Pro's, size LL/XL (online) and Deep See Atlantic 5 mil boots, size 13 (from LDS). I have size 14 feet. My question is, how much of my heel should be sticking out the back of the fin and everything still be ok? (Mine stick out about 3.5 inches)

I did try the search function and found lots of posts on specific fins & boot combos for larger feet, but I didn't find too much information about what kind of fit to expect. One post from 2004 hinted that with large feet like mine, it may be just a fact of life that your heel is going to protrude out the back a bit more than others. The LDS showed me some Atomic split fins and they said that there should only be aprox. 2 finger-width's worth of heel (~1.5 inches) sticking out the back.

Please help! Thanks!

I have large feet as well and I don't have much of aproblem of my feet sticking out of my fins. The bottom of the fin comes to right around th emiddle of the ball of my foot which leaves around an inch or maybe an inch and a half sticking out at the most.

I don't have size 14 thank the heavens above and I don't have those fins but your fins should fit your feet just as they would anyone of any shoe size. I think you should be able to push the foot fully into the pocket. It should fit snuggly enough that it does not flop or slip but not tight such that it compresses the foot. If it compresses the foot it will hurt and cause foot and leg cramps. If your foot does not fully insert into the pocket because of a high arch you may still be OK but it must slide in far enough that your toes are not doing all the work.

Good luck with your diving, take nothing but memories, leave nothing but bubbles.

N

fwiw - If the fins fit left and right, look more closely at how it comes up to the top of your foot - is it all the up the top of your foot? If so then the bottom length should be ok - Another option is to make sure your boots have a stiff sole, the stiffer the sole, the less important how far the foot bed extends toward your heel.

I wear size 13 boots as well (sometimes a 14 shoe also) My XXL Jets (which are just a tad on the "big" side for me) stop in the middle of my arch - just the way they are designed.

Aloha, Tim

Thanks for the replies guys!

On top, the fins come up just short of meeting my ankle, and there is almost no noticable side-to-side movement, so maybe I'm going to get lucky and they will work out ok!

I wear size 14 shoes, also with size 13+ booties.
Currently, I am diving with some Beuchat X-Jet fins. They're really flexible and work well with a frog kick (my kick of choice). I've never felt like there was much strain on the top of my foot due to the size of the boot pocket.

Check them out. I won't say that they are the greatest things ever, but I am more than happy with them.

Back
Top Bottom