Question How Screwed Would I Have Been?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wear thick neoprene gloves.

Spearfish gloves are a much better idea. You are able to maintain your dexterity whike also providing significant puncture & cut resistance. Also, having year round warm water here in FL, these provide all the insulation you’d need. I don’t go in the water without a pair on.

After getting stung by lionfish several times, I can report that heat works quite well, as long as you have enough hot water and you have it as hot as you can stand it.

Application of a topical anesthetic to an injection point of envenomation would (I think) have limited benefit because the venom moves away from the injection point and the pain and tissue damage is also occurring some distance from the point(s) of contact.

I was jabbed once (that I recall) by a scorpionfish and it hurt for a good while, but was not near as severe as a lionfish sting - for me. I have put my hand down on or near a scorpionfish many times, and as long as the placement is gentle, they always seem to just pop out from under your hand without a sting. Maybe I have been lucky.

Stonefish are only in the Indo-Pacific. I assume it was a Scorpionfish.

Scorpionfish envenomation is intensely painful, rarely fatal. Per DAN, "First aid for scorpionfish envenomations follows the same protocol as that for stingrays: Irrigate and immerse the affected area in hot water; remove foreign material and scrub the wound. Leave the wound open, and if the wound appears to become infected, administer antibiotics with activity against marine organisms."
So, this wouldn't work?
5c8b5c1df779c18430c8a8cde184fca5354c89ecb48b2d14293a5593292091a6_1.jpg

If you are on a tropical night dive , be aware that lionfish will hunt in your light and they do that behind your light and could well be just under your hand or wrist.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom