How old is too old?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

strongbow

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have been diving since 03 and most all of my gear is Oceanic. My question is how old is to old for a BCD? I have a Chute 3 and have over 300 dives on this rig. I have taken good care of it and with exception of fading on the bladder this unit is still in good shape.So when should I think about replacing the bladder and if I do can I still get one for a Chute 3 BCD?:coffee:

It's a lot liek buying a pickup truck or SUV where condition more than age determines value. If the bladder is still in good condition (no hardening, ceazing, cracking or holes, and no indications the seams are delaminating) and as long as the accessories liek the inflator, corrogated ionflator hose and dump valve are in good condition, it should still be ok to use.

You can still get a bladder for the 3. Heck you can get one for the chute2. And if you ask real nice they may have one laying around for the original chute. Oceanic has a reputation for supporting their lines for a LONG time.

While my "Assistant Instructor" cert would usually require me to give you some line about how this is "life support equipment" I can also tell you that many BC bladders can be patch repaired and made to last a very very long time. I have a Zeagle that I've had since 1994. I actually bought it USED and it was in service prior to that for a couple of years! I've had to patch it a couple of times in recent years with but he keeps on truckin'. First leaks for me started as very small and did not hamper my ability to dive, but it made the BC heavier when out of the water as now I was carrying extra water in there, and I'm sure I used a little extra air keeping it inflated. For the repairs I found the leaks and used generous amounts of 3M Marine Adhesive Sealant--white stuff, comes in a tube, available at boat supply places or online.

So to answer your question about when should you think about replacing the bladder? My answer would be when it can't be patched any more! Take care of your gear and it will serve you well for many many years.

Thanks to all for the advice,I really appreciate the help.:coffee:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom