How old is this Zeagle?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gdon:
My only point was that the BC will age, and things like the bladder might need to be replaced. Just something to consider if you are getting what you think is a good buy on an older BC. By the way I really like my Ranger. I know some people don't like the quick weight release system because its a little hard to thread the cord. But that design is is good. Its secure and not subject to failure like velcro is when it gets dirty. Maybe not the best, what do I know, but I like it.

I had to rethread a Zeagle Concept II BCD about 2 months ago for an open water student, and it took less than 5 minutes. Probably less than 2 minutes, even. It was kind of funny - I guess the guys at the shop hadn't done a good job of familiarizing her with her rental equipment. The student came up to me holding the ripcord and said "I didn't know what this was, so I pulled it and it came out of my BCD!"

I would just like to say it is good to have a manufacture taking questions on this board. I use Zeagle products and like to here the manufactures comments on issues such as warranty. Its one thing to read the fine print another to hear it in plain english from the manufacture.

Keep up the good work Zeagle.

I also have a spare one just like it... they must have only come in blue! Mine still works great, and I use it for all of the pool work.

As far as original receipt... If any of you guys ever need a copy from us, we're set up to instantly email in pdf format a copy of any receipt that you have made from Scubatoys... So if you ever need one for your Zeagle stuff... just let me know!

And Scott... that's "catch more flies with honey than vinegar" Who catches flies with sugar??

Allen42:
I also have a spare one just like it... they must have only come in blue! Mine still works great, and I use it for all of the pool work.

Allen

I did see two on e-bay not long ago in bright pink and electric green!

Robin

ScottZeagle:
The Owner's Manual that I have on my desk says:

"The shelf life for a NEW, UNUSED BC when deflated and stored in a dry place at room temperature, with no exposure to ultraviolet (UV) light is seven years."

I doubt that you will find many NEW, UNUSED BCs that have been setting on a shelf for seven (or even five) years.
We have people who are still diving the Alpha and Beta models that are pushing 25 years old, and they still work great. The lifetime warranty, along with the fact that we can do basic repairs on them and keep them operational is a dual-edged sword - we would love to have them buy a new BC, but they love their old BC, so we keep it diveable for them...
I have had customers send me BCs that they claim have 5,000+ dives on them along with a note that says: "Here is my BC back - it served me well for X number of years and X number of dives on it. I finally broke down and bought a new Zeagle BC, so you can have this one for your museum!"

(for the record, we don't have a museum - but it's not a bad idea!)

Please keep in mind that the lifetime warranty is to the ORIGINAL owner!!!

Dive safe,

Scott

Scott, you appear to have a connection to Zeagle. My Zeagle which I bought about late 80's early 90's looks similar to the one pictured above. I have been looking into getting a new one I have tried on every brand and cannot find one that fits. When I bought my last BC there were no womens styles you just found one that sorta fit and bought it. I have tried on the Zena but didn't like the way it fit. I like the way the Escape fits I have a small frame. Do many women buy this style and do you know if they like it? I know this is a broad question but I thought I would ask anyway.

All of our BCs, with the exception of the Zena, are uni-sex. We sell more Rangers and Escapes than Zenas, and many of those are to women divers. Many women love the Zena BC, but as many or more love their Ranger or Escape!! Hope this answers your question.

Scott

Scott welcome to the board. I thought I was the only Zeagle poster child here. That BC is about 15 years old and Gene has them come back to the shop occassionally for repairs and the team down at Zeagle takes care of us. I'll say hi next time I'm down at the factory

Rick

What do you guys think about types of weight to use in a Ranger?
Do you use the Zeagle weight pouches?
I have been using smaller soft lead pouches and trying to distribute them fore and aft, but I think they might shift during a dive. Are the pouches the answer?

Also I was somewhat concerned that I might open the zipper weight compartment by mistake when trying to get into the BC pockets which are right on top of the weight pockets. I was thinking of fashioning a clip of some sort to lock the weight pocket zipper. The only reason I can think of that I might need to open the weight pocket during a dive is if the rip cord system fails (possible?) or I need to remove weight to get the BC back in a boat.
Any thoughts on a locking zipper for the weight pockets?

Gdon:
What do you guys think about types of weight to use in a Ranger?
Do you use the Zeagle weight pouches?
I have been using smaller soft lead pouches and trying to distribute them fore and aft, but I think they might shift during a dive. Are the pouches the answer?

Also I was somewhat concerned that I might open the zipper weight compartment by mistake when trying to get into the BC pockets which are right on top of the weight pockets. I was thinking of fashioning a clip of some sort to lock the weight pocket zipper. The only reason I can think of that I might need to open the weight pocket during a dive is if the rip cord system fails (possible?) or I need to remove weight to get the BC back in a boat.
Any thoughts on a locking zipper for the weight pockets?

It's pretty hard to get the pockets mixed up. One zips closing down (the weights) and has a big heavy zipper, the other - outside pocket for "stuff" zips up to close, and has a string attached to the zipper. With very little time, you get used to which zipper just by feel.

And I don't use the weight pockets - but I only use 6-8 lbs when diving with a suit in the ocean... So I don't bother hand anything up. I really have never felt any "weight shift" so it's not much of a concern for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom