how often should i service ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Even a new seat could have some slight imperfections; also there could be some small nicks on the piston stem where it mates with the seat. My suggestion:
  1. Clean the piston and the seat
  2. Inspect for any nicks/imperfections, preferably with a loupe
  3. Replace the seat or polish/replace the piston as required
Well, I'm not at the point where I can actually service our own regs. Just getting to where I'm trying to be able to judge whether they need servicing.

So you'd agree that the unbalanced Mares piston reg starting at 120, then creeping up to 130, then stabilizing, is a bad thing?

Last edited:
It's not good, but probably not deadly. If it's been serviced recently, talk to the tech, maybe he wants to take a look.

I had a case of mild creep (10 PSI) like that last year in Egypt, without any dire consequence.

[/LIST]Well, I'm not at the point where I can actually service our own regs. Just getting to where I'm trying to be able to judge wehther they need servicing.

So you'd agree that the unbalanced Mares piston reg starting at 120, then creeping up to 130, then stabilizing, is a bad thing?

5 psi and maybe all you need to do is watch closely. 10 psi and you need to get more proactive. The creep comes from a small gap and it stops because something soft is filling that gap - either lubricant or an o-ring or the seat. Above 10 psi and the extrusion problem can progress quickly, sometimes dramatically.

*sigh* OK, I think I'm just about done with these basic Mares regs that my wife and daughter are using. I forgot to mention that my daughter's R2 second stage has for years tended to "honk" upon exhaling, despite regular sevicing -- not a big deal, but just one more thing.

I've never had this kind of trouble with the Sherwoods that my son and I are using. I think it's time to dig out our third Sherwood -- an old 1985 Brut that's never given us any trouble -- I've already had the "new" post-1990 piston with the replaceable seat put in. And I need to find a fourth used Brut somewhere for sale.

I've always known Sherwoods to be dirt-simple and foolproof to service, and the service parts are all largely standard and available. My LDS charges $15 more to service a Mares rig than a Sherwood.

well, the honking probably only happens on the surface, not underwater, right? (honking at the surface is a fairly common, and harmless, event). Also, if the Mares was just serviced 4 months ago, instead of trashing the reg, maybe take it back to whoever serviced it and make them 'make good' on their 'servicing', as either they damaged it during their last servicing and owe you a free 'fix', or the unit had maybe been damaged earlier at some point but you're the 1st person to spot it....so even if you are forced to pay for a repair this time......IMMEDIATELY after you get it back from service (as in while it's still in the dive shop, before you pay for the service and take the unit home) hook the newly repiared reg up to a tank and check the IP yourself with the reg tech/shop owner watching you, and everyone will soon know if the reg really is fixed!

well, the honking probably only happens on the surface, not underwater, right? (honking at the surface is a fairly common, and harmless, event).

It's definitely honking at the surface -- when I tested it yesterday, it was honking on exhaling.

But here's a video clip from Grand Cayman a month ago, this clip shot by my daughter using this reg. This is on the Oro Verde wreck, at about 50 ft. There's a loud resonating sound, like a death rattle, most apparent in the second half of the clip; but this sounds like it's on inhaling. She says she doesn't even notice it.

*edit* OK, anyone know whether it's possible to attach a .MOV or .WMV video clip here, short of posting it on YouTube?

Also, if the Mares was just serviced 4 months ago, instead of trashing the reg, maybe take it back to whoever serviced it [...] IMMEDIATELY after you get it back from service (as in while it's still in the dive shop, before you pay for the service and take the unit home) hook the newly repiared reg up to a tank and check the IP yourself with the reg tech/shop owner watching you, and everyone will soon know if the reg really is fixed!

I would if I could. But I sent these out for servicing (very reputable shop), and we don't have our own tanks. :idk:

I agree with you, though; from now on, I'm going to use the LDS for servicing so I can do just what you're suggesting. They charge $50 plus parts for Sherwood rigs, and $65 plus parts for Mares.

It's definitely honking at the surface -- when I tested it yesterday, it was honking on exhaling.

But here's a video clip from Grand Cayman a month ago, this clip shot by my daughter using this reg. This is on the Oro Verde wreck, at about 50 ft. There's a loud resonating sound, like a death rattle, most apparent in the second half of the clip; but this sounds like it's on inhaling. She says she doesn't even notice it.

*edit* OK, anyone know whether it's possible to attach a .MOV or .WMV video clip here, short of posting it on YouTube?

I would if I could. But I sent these out for servicing (very reputable shop), and we don't have our own tanks. :idk:

I agree with you, though; from now on, I'm going to use the LDS for servicing so I can do just what you're suggesting. They charge $50 plus parts for Sherwood rigs, and $65 plus parts for Mares.

...about the honking, you've got 2 identical regs (Mares R2) and one honks and one doesn't, so at least we know it is possible for the unit to be made to not honk. A possible cheapie fix is to replace the 2nd-stage diaphragm or maybe just 'rotate' the existing one and see what happens. I've never shipped out regs for servicing as I want a level of personal accountability where I have immediate recourse locally if something isn't right. (also very nervous about shipping my regs off as some of them are quite expensve and losing them in the mail would be VERY bad!)

Like I said, the "honking" that concerns me sounds like it's when my daughter inhales, and only underwater. We don't dive often enough, unfortunately, to troubleshoot this reg as well as I'd want to underwater.

I've never shipped out regs for servicing as I want a level of personal accountability where I have immediate recourse locally if something isn't right. (also very nervous about shipping my regs off as some of them are quite expensve and losing them in the mail would be VERY bad!)

I definitely agree with you now. The shop I mailed them to had originally sold us the Mares regs; and were providing the Mares parts for free, and only charging $49.95 labor per set (Sherwood and Mares). But with shipping and insurance, it's more expensive than going local.

OK, back to the second issue; see post #58 above. Considering the Sherwood dry bleed system, why would my son's 3300 Magnum lose pressure slowly when the valve is shut off (200 psi in 5 min), but my 5900 Magnum wouldn't? People have told me that they see the typical stream of tiny bubbles from my first stage, and I did see bubbles (less frequent, but not quite so tiny) from my son's reg the other day.

Like I said, the "honking" that concerns me sounds like it's when my daughter inhales, and only underwater. We don't dive often enough, unfortunately, to troubleshoot this reg as well as I'd want to underwater.

I definitely agree with you now. The shop I mailed them to had originally sold us the Mares regs; and were providing the Mares parts for free, and only charging $49.95 labor per set (Sherwood and Mares). But with shipping and insurance, it's more expensive than going local.

OK, back to the second issue; see post #58 above. Considering the Sherwood dry bleed system, why would my son's 3300 Magnum lose pressure slowly when the valve is shut off (200 psi in 5 min), but my 5900 Magnum wouldn't? People have told me that they see the typical stream of tiny bubbles from my first stage, and I did see bubbles (less frequent, but not quite so tiny) from my son's reg the other day.

The best (correct) way to measure the air flow through the positive purge is by volume, not psi. Use a small beaker or measuring cup, capture the bubbles for 60 seconds and see what you've got. Older models should be between 13 & 27 cc per minute, newer models (laser drilled orifice) should be between 20 & 30 cc per minute. Inadequate volume means replace the filter or orifice - be sure your hands are clean and dry (no lube) when you do this.

If the honking comes from the first stage it's usually the spring. You can try flipping it but often it needs to be replaced. Honking from the second stage is usually the primary diaphragm. Make sure the diaphragm is properly seated and secure. If that doesn't correct the problem the diaphragm probably needs to be replaced.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom