How often do you use your compass (in clear waters)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaTexas

Contributor
Reaction score
This is more of a curious question. When in clear waters, how often do you find yourself using your compass? I typically dive clear waters and as a result find myself using reference points for navigation (when needed) rather than using a compass.

I generally take a compass heading from the boat to give a reference for the current. I also will take a heading once I have established a direction of travel. I will occasionally check the heading back toward the mooring line, just to be sure. Reference points are handy as well, but I tend to want to trust my instruments more than my memory.

DSDO

Yeah reference points are good in clear, hi-viz waters. I'll also take a heading for the shore too, if i'm on a boat dive and I'm quite afar away from land...

at least if they're searching for me I'll be swimming in the right direction :eyebrow:

What's good viz? :06:

In what we call good viz (6m or 19 feet) I do tend to still use my compass. Obviously not as often as I use it in normal viz (3m or so), but I still keep an eye on it, so I know where I am in relation to the boat.

Nauticalbutnice :fruit:

I just got back from West Palm Beach and because of currents the boat would drop us off well up current. Without knowing the direction of the "site" and following the compass heading, finding your way is a little more difficult. Difficult in the sense that out of five dives, two different sets of divers and one instructor missed their target.

I guess the answer is "it depends on where you dive".

We often dive off our own boat with no surface support. Most times we dive a wreck or follow the reef profile. If we deviate from that profile I will take a physical reference and then take a heading so we can retrace our course. I've often thought of dropping breadcrumbs (like maybe a washer or 2 and some pink ribbon) to aid in this process. Sometimes it's hard to re-find an underwater 'waypoint'.

Otherwise - if I'm on a charter and the captain says "you're on top, head west for the edge", we'll drop to the bottom, take a heading and head west....

Quite frequently when I'm doing surveys of old, inundated ruins and structure foundations.

Clear water?? Oh yeah, I think I know what you mean.......

Found myself using my compass while in Florida in Feb/Mar this year. Even though the water was clear, I could have easily gotten lost if I had not kept a mental road map of my direction and distance traveled. Seen one corral formation, seen them all. To me they all look very similar. The other two divers on my first dive (3 divers on a six pack boat, we dove together), asked me how I knew where the boat was when we signaled to return. They both said that they were going to surface and look, but followed me instead. I told them and they both had a bit of a stunned look on their faces and admitted that neither of them had a compass, and had not really learned how to use one.

Seems like that’s the way most divers make their way back to the boat around their, as I saw quite a few "salt water prairie dogs" popping up to take a look, then swim in the direction of the correct boat under water.

What´s clear water? I sometimes think I need a compass to find my compass.

A better question would be: "How often do I use my compass EFFECTIVELY". :sigh:

Someday I'll take that underwater nav course, and maybe then I'll be able to find the beach with both hands. Until then, I am developing some rather strong swimming skills...

Phoca

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom