• 6-12 times a year

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • monthly

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • weekly

Votes: 7 43.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chile7236

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
how often do you get UW shooting time?

I have my camera setup with me on the boat every single dive and I'd say its in the water with me 98% of the time. There are a handful of dives where the wx or other divers justify me not taking it (ie if I'm DM'ing and they need me right with them paying close attention the whole time). But barring either of those It hits the water with me

-------------------------------------------
PADI Rescue/DM 09100Z7445
Dr Dive/Wet Dream/Sea Cobra/Y-Knot/H2OBelow

Diving is my passion...I live to dive!

Only time I don't shoot is during classes. Since the dive shop I was working with closed, I haven't had any so I bring my camera every time. We dive one day a week when conditions allow, two when they are exceptional and we can stay over. Please don't ask me how often I get to take the time to process my pictures and post them on my website, I'll be embarrassed to say.

Only time I don't shoot is during classes. Since the dive shop I was working with closed, I haven't had any so I bring my camera every time. We dive one day a week when conditions allow, two when they are exceptional and we can stay over. Please don't ask me how often I get to take the time to process my pictures and post them on my website, I'll be embarrassed to say.

So I am not the only one that has LOTS of unprocessed pics but never got around to doing it? (probably years worth of pics)

So I am not the only one that has LOTS of unprocessed pics but never got around to doing it? (probably years worth of pics)
If I were a better photographer, I could just put them straight up as JPEGS, but unfortunately I'm not. As is, I spend at least an hour or two on a dive worth of pictures adjusting lighting, contrast, getting rid of unwanted backscatter, sharpening.......

I used to bring my camera rig weekly on at least a couple of dives, when I dove multiple times a week. However, now that I'm getting busier, I just use it maybe once a month, as I don't want to slow down my buddies and I often just want to get in the water.

If I were a better photographer, I could just put them straight up as JPEGS, but unfortunately I'm not. As is, I spend at least an hour or two on a dive worth of pictures adjusting lighting, contrast, getting rid of unwanted backscatter, sharpening.......

I understand the logic and desire to edit pictures and make them look as good as possible… But I put every single picture up AS IS. I never have and never will edit my UW pictures. I like to see my progression as a photographer as a secondary benefit to the joy I get just from shooting… Even when I'm having a bad day as a photographer a few of them manage to come out ok :)
-------------------------------------------
PADI Rescue/DM 09100Z7445
Dr Dive/Wet Dream/Sea Cobra/Y-Knot/H2OBelow

Diving is my passion...I live to dive!

At the range, every week.

Under water, it depends on where I am diving and who I am diving with. Probably about 1/3 of my dives.
More if solo or clear water where my cheap camera is not at such a disadvantage. My strobe died so deep dives result in poor photos.
My best photo's fall short of the results from talented / skilled photographers on SB, but I still like them.

I used to not take the camera on every dive, but every time I left the camera behind I saw things I really wanted to photograph. After a couple of times, I just made a rule that "the camera goes on every dive". The only time I don't take the camera is if I'm teaching.

i try to get single tank, lunch dives in during the week...maybe get a couple of weekends a month where i do 2 tanks...i'm not seeing a whole lot of improvement :(...but it's still fun.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom