How often do you regrease the housing/WAL mounting groove

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ssra30

Reaction score
Well, the subject pretty much said it all.
My WAL manual suggested that I should apply silicone to the groove on the housing port as well as the WAL groove itself however it was a bit unclear if I should do this once a day while on a diving trip, after every dive or everytime after I take the WAL off the housing (when not in the water).
Thanks for the help.

Before diving trip I pull out both O-rings (PT-015), grease them and carefully clean the housing before I put them back. I leave the housing opened when not used. Before closing the housing, I check if there's any dust or fiber on O-rings or near them. If I need to open housing between dives (e.g. for card replacement) I just carefully dry the housing, open it and close it without re-greasing the O-rings (again checking for dirt and fibers).

Monkseal, thanks for your reply. I already do similar things with my housing and o-ring. I am a bit more concern and confuse about the thread on my wide angle lens and the groove on the housing port ring that I mount the lens on, since Inon manual only told me to put the grease on but not how often or when.

You only need a VERY light and thin layer of grease on those threads, if any at all. It's only to help those really thin threads to turn easier. Keep in mind that any grease like that will attract sand and debris. Those fine threads are the last place you want sand to collect in!!! If you bend those threads, either with sand and debris or mis-alignment, you're sunk.

So be careful! I put a very light coat of silicone on mine when I first used it and haven't done it again. After 60 or so dives, it's still smooth.

the only problem with greasing the port is if you get sand on it, then you have a real nightmare puting on a lens underwater.

this happend to my pt-010 in the red sea, we had sand storms for 2 or 3 days and everything got covered as we were camping in big safari tents.

Thanks Dee and clive francis, I will be very careful and won't over do it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom