How often do you check up on your buddy during a dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As title says, how often do you check up on your buddy during a dive?
If you're leading the dive and your buddy is behind you, how often would you flash the OK sign back to your buddy to check if he's alright?

Had a pretty heated discussion about this today, so many divers (instabuddies, anyone?) dive solely thinking about themselves and not really caring about the fact that you're a team.
Oddly, on last dive - instabuddy AOW qualified didnt even check me once as he was following Dive master...... 45mins worth ( obvs my technique was soshit i wasnt worth the bother....) k

There is a sign I was taught which is closed fist with both hands extending the index and putting them next to each other.

Make sure you tell them that’s what it means before the dive.

It is shown on this page as ‘buddy up’
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www..../scuba-hand-signals-you-need-to-remember/amp/

I think honestly that some people will not do it even if you tell them and either you’ll have to let it go or ask to have another buddy.
I know this sign very well, but it seems that a lot of people divers do not know it at all.
I have a habit of saying what means what before a dive, but too often it seems that it all goes out of their heads once we hit the water.

I look a lot, but I think that’s also me being a newer diver. I don’t want to be “that” guy who has something go wrong for no other reason than not paying attention. I find myself checking my air and buddy about every min or 2. I give the ok signal each time.

Wasn't an argument as much as general irritation about some instabuddies.
I've taken the role as leader on a few dives with people I haven't dove with before and I've found that most of the time they'll stay behind me, even if we talk about swimming side by side before the dive they'll just trail off to slightly behind me.

Have you considered that you might actually be swimming a bit fast?

I start with a few internal questions.

1.) What are the conditions? With me, probably a Caribbean or southern Florida area dive, excellent viz., minimal current. There's likely a guide leading the group.

2.) Why am I buddy diving? Often I'm just diving with the group, so it's really not (in which case I view the leader as a GPS-like navigation aid and may helicopter to conserve air and make him easy to follow). Sometimes someone invites me on a buddy dive apart from what the group is doing (happened on a live-aboard trip out of Belize), or the solo dive I might've been going to do (as happened in California). If that's the case, the other diver is likely more seasoned and capable at navigation, so I follow him, close but back a little. Trying to pace someone 'shoulder to shoulder' sounds impractical and aggravating to me...I don't do that on land, either (my wife thinks it's an only child thing; I don't know).

3.) What do I expect from the buddy? Usually, a GPS-style navigation device. We may point out to each other things we find, but that's about it. I don't expect him to 'baby sit' me, constantly monitoring if I get into trouble or have a serious medical event. I can grunt loudly to get attention; if I didn't think that was good enough I could bring a tank banger. I drive solo on the Interstate without a 'buddy,' and I don't expect one to constantly monitor me on a dive. If I'm back a bit and he's leading, it's my responsibility to keep up (assuming he's not going fast). We glance at each other intermittently. As for checking remaining gas, I'm likely a little worse on air than the other guy, so when I'm at half-tank or so, I'll get his attention and let him know. I don't expect him to ask me.

4.) What does the buddy expect from me? The kind of diver apt to invite me along probably doesn't expect me to constantly him, or feel the need to do it to me, but I try to be reasonable and adapt.

There's a situation I've run into, albeit seldom, when the boat crew puts me with a buddy. I don't like having an assigned instabuddy, but if necessary... We talk before the dive and I try to get a sense of whether this is a new diver, a stickler for formal adherence, etc..., and work with that.

Real world example from several years ago. Diving in Key Largo, I get paired with an instabuddy. Okay, guide-led group dive (yet I'm assigned a specific buddy...), I glance at him once in awhile, dive goes okay, end of dive we surface behind the boat, haul ourselves in on the 'granny line' (or whatever you call it), get out. Back on boat, a staff (politely) fusses at me because I didn't stay with that guy at the very end and got out without him (the guy complained). They paired me with another guy next dive, I think one of their regulars. End of that dive, I'm looking around on the line, guy's nowhere to be found, I finally get out...new buddy had already gotten out and back onboard ahead of me. Which is fine with me!

My point is, with instabuddies, there are a range of real world expectations, often unspoken, and on-boat spontaneous encounters don't lend themselves to the more 'stickler' type dictating to the other diver 'Hey, this how it is going to be.' A little reasonable respect and accommodation from both goes a long way.

Change the situation to low viz., high current or other complicating factors and that's another story. My view on buddy diving in good conditions by intermediate and higher level divers is politically incorrect, but I suspect real-world prevalent in the Caribbean region.

If I am leading and we happen to find ourselves in a low viz situation following a line in a quarry, like a couple weeks ago. There were two other divers. I was the lead. We were at 80 ft and viz was not so great and we were following a line. I was much more concerned with them not loosing sight of the line. So they stayed side by side with line between them and I was just ahead leading since there were some choices to be made as we went. We all carried lights. Did stop for a couple of air checks so I could guage their consumption. Mostly relied on seeing that there was a light behind me.

I think like many things how often and where/when you check on a buddy is circumstantial.

I try to stay with my buddy, but naturally if they no a site better you end up lagging as you are waiting for them to show the way

I find if I am designated lead I check more regularly. If I am with a new buddy I check often, with a familiar one less often. If they look different or uncomfortable more often again.

Checking here means OK ing, that’s different to glancing at them, that’s much more regular!

On checking if pre-Dive we’ve decided I’m the gas limit (e.g 2x12s vs. 1x12) I won’t necessarily ask them to check their gas but will tell them before hand that I’ll let them know at 50% pressure, 100bar, 10bar before I need to leave the bottom, and when I need to go + thumb. This seems to work.

I look a lot, but I think that’s also me being a newer diver. I don’t want to be “that” guy who has something go wrong for no other reason than not paying attention. I find myself checking my air and buddy about every min or 2. I give the ok signal each time.

This is excellent mate and strive for the confidence that experience will soon bring
then you can start go appreciate the diving, with the special creatures around you
without being fixated on a buddy which is best left to when he is approaching you
pretty soon after the dive with beer at the bar
or soft drink
or milk

I learned the buddy "I lead, you follow" or vice versa signal as clenched fists with index fingers extended, but one hand behind the other. Of course, that shouldn't mean one buddy directly behind the other I suppose.

it depends on the buddy- if I'm diving with an equally experienced diver i expect them to be able to look after themselves and vice versa, in an open water non overhead dive we check each other on the descent for bubbles and would only indicate if there an issue. At the designated depth we give/indicate Ok signal meaning we have adjusted all our straps sorted any additional stage tanks etc and were good to continue. After that its a cursory glance every now and then and as long as we recognise that were both comfortable then theres not much more to do others than enjoy the dive.
Caveat: im talking about a buddy that I have dived with repeatedly and know their level of experience and comfort know they have the skill and experience to deal with issues if they arise without panicking

if we are in on overhead then we indicate (torch) at strategic points such as entering a room or corridor and say before going through a tight section to make sure we are happy to continue-some days you just dont feel on point and we respect each other to say no without shame

on the other side if im diving with a person who isn't particularly experienced or diving at the upper level of their comfort zone i watch them like a hawk and am never more than 2-3 m away. Any sign of stress or discomfort and i try to respond as quickly as possible to make sure the situation does not escalate.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom