How often do you change your hoses?

How often do you change your hoses?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, I mean just for semi cheap insurance, would it be prudent to change hoses every 6 to 10 years whether they need it or not?
So depending on what type and how many, most people would spend probably between $150 - $200 to swap out all hoses.
Maybe that should be part of a standard regimen? Just like the aircraft industry, stuff gets changed out as a pre-emtive measure to avoid disaster.

I change hoses like I change tires and light bulbs. When I see a problem (leak) they get changed. Why would you discard a perfectly good hose for no reason other than age?

I change hoses like I change tires and light bulbs. When I see a problem (leak) they get changed. Why would you discard a perfectly good hose for no reason other than age?

Pretty much what I do. My hoses very often show cracking of the outside rubber sleeve. Even though they are not leaking at all, this is enough to cause me to change them out, often with another used hose. I dive with a pony bottle, so a hose failure would most likely be a major inconvenience, rather than something dangerous. If I see ANY leaks in the hose, it is being discarded.

I agree; but then I had that perfectly good looking HP hose fail.

I'm not arbitrarily changing any of my hoses because of that one failure, but it did make me ponder this exact question back when it happened a couple years ago, then this poll reminded me of it...

And I still still don't know.

I will probably continue to just inspect carefully, and change "as needed".

Best wishes.

I believe that HP hoses are more prone to failure than LP hoses. All the failed hoses I remember were HP. I don't remember any of my LP hoses fail since circa 1990. I may have replaced LP hoses in my regulators as a precaution because they appeared "used" but not for actual failure (haven't done this since circa 1997 when I switched to SP and Atomic regulators). I chose "6 - 10 years" in poll since I have had to replace my SPG HP hose recently (about 10 years old).

I chose "Never". Same as servicing my regs i.e when I notice something, a leak, bubbling sheath etc. I've had brand new hoses leak upon first use and have some hoses that are many years/dives old that will not die. Of failures I have had it's always been at the crimp.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom