How NOT to dive Monad Shoal in Malapascua. Is a Thresher sighting worth the damage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I will be visiting Malapascua in a few weeks, I'm glad I stumbled on this thread. Sounds like I'll be paying Evolution a visit for some dives! : )
Great video Budasub, you've made me very excited now!

I haven't been to Monad Shoal, Mapalpascua is on my bucket list though. Sounds like I need to get there soon!!!

I agree, 1st and foremost Instructors, DM's and dive guides should be the first line of training for divers on how to properly dive the site, and divers need to learn and practice diving responsibly with neutral bouyancy.

That being said, and I hope this doesn't sound stupid, but in the broken rubble can you build some dead coral hedge or cement structures, that divers could then attach a reef hook to (like the one started at Manta Sandy in R4)? Properly used with a little air added they can get off the bottom, while still letting the Thresher control the experience? Or sink some steel rods with eye hooks into the rubble and attach lines between so divers can attach a john line to it? Either of these would allow use from either side depending on the current or location of the Thresher.

I realize this doesn't fix the problem of bad diver bouyancy or behaviour, but...

A version of this has been used with pretty good success for some years. We dropped large cement blocks and added rope between them allowing divers to hold something and also marking a boundary not to pass when sharks are cleaning. It does work but also many ignore it, cross it etc so for sure positive but not perfect.

IMG_0202.JPG
IMG_0201.JPG

Like this Roger?
View attachment 130783
We initiated this over a year ago, and since then a number of other shops have followed suit. However if the divers can't do it(maintain buoyancy control) and the DMs don't do anything about that... then the result is the pictures above.

Just curious. What's the issue with using lights?

Just curious. What's the issue with using lights?

Thresher sharks are very timid and the lights from dive torches and cameras causes them to flee.

-Z

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom