How Much weight???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LanceRiley

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
How much weights should you have? in relation to your weight?

I weight around 170 lbs. wearing a 0.5mm wetsuit. wearing jet fins (negatively bouyant)

Im using 10 lbs weight. Now dropping to 9.6 lbs. How far can I expect to loose?

is there a percentage?

This is something that should have been taught on your entry-level scuba course - both how to estimate your weighting needs and how to confirm those estimations with a buoyancy check.

If you need a reminder and/or further details, please check out my article:

Scuba Buoyancy Masterclass 4of9 - Assessing Your Weight Requirements - Scuba Tech Philippines

From the article, you can start with PADI's basic weighting guidelines...

weighting-guidlelines.jpg

For many divers, diving in tropical waters, with appropriate exposure protection and an AL80 cylinder, there isn't much need for more than a couple of lbs of weight.

Although rules of thumb exist, weighting is very individual. It depends on size, amount of body fat, and bone density (and in colder water, the amount of insulation you wear). You can use a rule of thumb for a starting point, but beyond that, proper weight checks are necessary to fine tune.

Don't ignore Devon's advice about doing a proper buoyancy check. The Padi guidelines would consistently overweight me by around 100%. By the guidelines, I should wear 24 lbs in a 5mm Wet suit, but I actually need 12 (6 lb backplate, 6 in weight pockets) with an aluminum tank. Even that can be a bit heavy for me depending on the day. Still able to hold a 10 ft stop with less than 500 psi.

That may not be the case for you. However, most people will require less weight as they get more comfortable underwater and with a particular gear configuration. Check periodically as you get more comfortable.

yes.. that's what the Padi instructor told me... remove weights slowly as you gain experience.. I was just wondering how far I really have to go...

im 170 lbs right now. at 5% body weight that should be 8.5 lbs. but that is using a 3mm suit. I use only a 0.5mm scubapro wetsuit. so I can go less?

As I kept on diving my comfort level underwater has increased. As i kept stripping off weights ... my air consumption has improved dramatically.

i think im still around 12 dives young =)

but there's this guy in our group. he just wears a rash guard and trunks. he dives without weights! man... id love to do that!

thanks for the replies guys.. keep em comming =)

yes.. that's what the Padi instructor told me... remove weights slowly as you gain experience.. I was just wondering how far I really have to go...

As far as you can. Unnecessary weight is....well..... unnecessary.

If you remove the unnecessary weight, you will also remove the unnecessary compensating air from your BCD. Buoyancy gets easier. Trim gets easier. Air consumption decreases... it all gets better.

All great replies from experts. For me, the PP Buoyancy course got me squared away with weight and trim. Only recently (after 5+ years) have I changed anything. Substituted a 1 pounder for a 2 pounder a few months ago.

thanks Devon Diver =)

a follow up question... what if due to work or time constraints.... i coudn't dive for say .. 1 month. do I have to increase weights? I've heard somebody say that the more you dive the more you become less buoyant... and the more you don't dive you become more buoyant or something like that.

what if due to work or time constraints.... i coudn't dive for say .. 1 month. do I have to increase weights? I've heard somebody say that the more you dive the more you become less buoyant... and the more you don't dive you become more buoyant or something like that.

The physics doesn't change, but you might become less anxious, or improve your trim and not require weight to compensate for your orientation in the water, or your wetsuit might be growing less buoyant as it ages, or your breathing might become more relaxed. There are all sorts of factors.

However it doesn't matter if this is your first dive or your 5,000th dive, you need what you need. If there's ever a question of how much weight you need, do a buoyancy check and you'll know.

flots.

The physics doesn't change, but you might become less anxious, or improve your trim and not require weight to compensate for your orientation in the water, or your wetsuit might be growing less buoyant as it ages, or your breathing might become more relaxed. There are all sorts of factors.

However it doesn't matter if this is your first dive or your 5,000th dive, you need what you need. If there's ever a question of how much weight you need, do a buoyancy check and you'll know.

flots.

I do weight checks all the time. Not anything like every dive, but when I am swapping gear around or changing exposure protection I will usually check. It only takes a a second. Now days I guess right about 99% of the time. The accuracy is not becauseni am a genius, it is because I have been doing weight checks on myself for a long time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom