how much weight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Darryl15

Registered
Reaction score
i have never dived in the ocean with my dry suit, i freshwater i used roughly 24 lbs how much should i be looking at for the ocean

Darryl15:
i have never dived in the ocean with my dry suit, i freshwater i used roughly 24 lbs how much should i be looking at for the ocean

Divide your total weight - you and all the gear you dive - by 40 and add that amount of lead. For example, if you and your gear weigh 240 pounds, add 6 pounds of lead.

Darryl15:

It's not precise, but I use a general rule of thumb to add 10% ... then fine tune from there.

Darryl15:

It's all about water density and the bouyancy it provides. Ocean water will be 2.6% denser than fresh. Take your entire weight; you your suit, weights, cylinder with air the whole kit and kaboodle and add it up or step on a scale. Multiply the whole thing by .026 and add that to your ideal fresh water weight.

The divide by 40 method donacheson mentioned is essentially the same if you divide 1/40 you'll see why. This may also be easier for mental math.

For many average sized male cold water single tank divers 6 pounds seems to be the magic number.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom