How much to ship a camera to Australia?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scotttyd

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have an offer to buy my nikon camera and ikelite housing, but ship it to Australia. I have absolutely no idea how much it would cost, I used an online estimator and it gave me $90, I know that is opverly excessive. Anyone have any ideas?

By air? You could get it over there for under US$50, by sea, under US$30. Depends on how well you pack it, as cost is generally based on size, shape and weight. I shipped about 20kg of "stuff" back to Aus a month or so ago for $150

There's no "by sea" anymore via US Post to Australia, unfortunately. I used to send stuff that way all the time, but it's not an option now - everything goes air, fast or slow.

$90 does seem expensive, but not horribly so. I sent a plastic toy truck to Australia at the end of last year (one of those remote control thingies, about 12 inches long & high) and it cost me about $35. Had no batteries in it and it was pretty light, being all of plastic. It is not cheap to ship stuff here anymore.

US Post does a great job, though. It's fast and the least expensive of the options.

Best thing to do is pack it up, take it the PO to weigh it and get a real number so you can pass that on the buyer.

You can also estimate using USPS - The United States Postal Service (U.S. Postal Service) if you have the dimensions. One problem with using the post office is they won't insure the package to most international destinations which would be problematic considering what you're shipping. When I sell on Ebay, I usually give the buyer a choice....you can pay XXX and I'll ship it with insurance against theft or damage, OR, I'll ship it USPS for about $30 and you assume all liability...all I do at that point is purchase a cheap proof of shipping, scan it and send to the buyer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom