How much time to don gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

xsurfer

New
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a dive buddy and she takes half an hour to don gear (for California cold water diving). She won't let me help her. She keeps me waiting. Is this a normal time frame?

For someone very inexperienced, yes, or possibly to big for their gear. I figure it takes 15 minutes tops from when I first start to put on my farmer john bottom to when I descend. Time can vary depending on how much bull****ting we are doing, but average 10 minutes feels about right. This is for NE diving.

Last edited:
It takes what it takes.

Don't gear up too early then, let her start and you start when you will be finished at the same time.

Takes me a while to get all my crap together, then my undies on, then the dry suit, etc.

Some people might be slower than others, but 30 is a really long time (assuming you are not exaggerating). Study her more thoroughly (without her knowing) what takes so long? Is she really struggling with getting her legs through, does she talk too much, is she just plain forgetful so she has to undo and redo a lot of things? Is the gear new?

Thirty minutes is a really long time, find out what the kink in the chain is and look to remedy it

Thanks everyone. I think you ALL nailed it! She is a big girl and only thing she lets me help with is the zipper (have to lay her down with my foot on her butt....j/k). She does talk a lot which I try to ignore. Her biggest holdup is getting on the upper arms and time and again I've told her to get the suit on properly around the crotch and up to the waist and then work on the top part -- and dont waste breath talking while doing so. She is fairly inexperienced so I have to be patient although I have seen experienced divers take the same amount of time. I take 15 mins with double checking everythng right before descent, so that is a good idea to wait until she is halfway through before I start. I do worry about her participating in this Womens Dive Day this weekend and which I obviously cannot attend as she might not have an understanding dive buddy. Thanks again all!

The key with wetsuits is to take as much material as you possibly can and get it as high up as possible. It is easier to push material down then to yank it up. Also, I use a bottle of 1/4 dawn dish soap and 3/4 water for the arms and legs for when it is raining or I am doing a lot of repetitive dives and the wet suit won't dry in between. It gets a little soapy, buy I slide in and out like a dream. Have her try it.

Some people seem to take a long time no matter what. You learn to time yourself so that you are ready when they are.

When I was in high school, I absolutely loved football practice. After my last class of the day I would fairly sprint down the hall, and I would always be one of the first in the locker room. I would dress as fast as I could, but when I left to get to the practice field, I would invariably be one of the last out the door. I have no idea why it took me that long. In scuba, I have retained much of that same trait. When I am doing a boat dive, I start the gearing up process as soon as I can, knowing that it will take me that much longer than everyone else. When I do the shore diving associated with local diving, I have to push myself the same way--and I'm usually acting as an instructor. I have no idea what my problem is--I know how to don the gear as well as anyone, but it takes me a while. It's been that way all my life, and I'm not optimistic about raprid changes in the future.

Why does it matter how long she takes? For some people gearing up is part of getting into the right headspace for diving. For me, unloading my gear from my truck, doing my predive on my breather, making sure my Cuda is sealed properly and ready to go, donning my undergarment, condom cath, drysuit... All that prep takes me about an hour. I time my predive so that I'm ready to splash at the correct time for the tide and the current. It's part of my predive Zen activity.

In short, what Hawkwood said.

-Adrian

The problem is, us slow folks start gearing up before everyone else. But then the fast folks start gearing up at the same time and end up being mad about having to wait. Well, we tried to start early because we know we're slow. But also patience is a virtue that is also very useful in the water to not tangle yourself in kelp or monofilament, not lose your buddy, etc.

I got a nylon skin to help me pull up my wetsuit to help me go faster, but I'm still slower than everyone else because my hands aren't good at pulling on a wetsuit. I definitely don't want help (no touchy without permission, the same as in regular land-life! and I have some pride I'd like not to bruise, too..), and I don't want to go faster, because I'm consciously thinking about everything I'm don'ing to make sure I haven't forgotten anything too.

Tip for the arms: Pull them inside out. Slip them on up to the wrist and then push your arm through. Much easier that way.

As far as taking too much time - I dive solo almost always and have a set routine. I do everything exactly the same way in the same order. If someone "helps" me I take everything off and start over. If I'm diving off a boat I try to start gearing up way ahead of time so I don't hold anyone up.

I've had a$$wipe DM's reconfigure my gear and turn off my valve without telling me. Needles to say they got no tip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom