How much time between connections?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubamickey

I'm a GIRL!
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'll be returning from George Town in the Bahamas on a saturday in June. The flight arrives in Miami at around 10:00 am. I need to catch another flight out of Miami that same day. How much time should I expect passport control and customs to take? I can book a 2:30 flight or a 4:30 flight.

I just can't imagine what we'd do in the airport for 4 hours :)
But the last time I came through passport control in Miami it took 2 hours and I don't know if that is the norm or if the backlog we experienced was due to several large flights arriving together. Or maybe that *is* the norm for Miami.

When I came in from Freeport, passport control was done in Freeport by U.S. customs agents. Check if this is the case. If that's the case, it's just like a domestic flight.

Internationally I generally figure two hours is enough, but it can be cutting it short since you have to re-enter through security

Just looked at the actually times. Absolutely book the 2:30 flight. That's four and a half hours, way more than enough already.

Not sure if one clears US customs in George Town prior to coming to US unless your flight is throuh Nassau or Freeport, if so, consider at least a two hour layover.

Visitors leaving Nassau or Freeport/Lucaya for most U.S. destinations clear U.S. Customs and Immigration before departing The Bahamas. Charter companies can make special arrangements with the Nassau or Freeport flight services and U.S. Customs and Immigration for preclearance. No further formalities are required upon arrival in the United States once the preclearance has taken place in Nassau or Freeport.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom