How Much Should I Spend?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Geeesh...

I gotta a guy here locally selling a used drysuit (worn 2x) for $250 obo....??

Hmmmmm.... wonder if it is complete junk? Not sure of the brand yet. It is 4 years old but only worn 2x. Kinda BRIGHT colors though. Sorta "Girly man" lookin. 2-tone blue. No boots or gloves built in.

Think I'll go take a look at it anyway.

Drysuits???

Hi guys there are about a million different syles of suits bilams, trilams, vulcanized rubber, compressed neo, crushed, etc.
I have owned 4 different suits inluding viking, bare, tusa, DUI.

An excellent suit for the money would be a BARE. Excellent quailty and workmanship and being made in Canada allows for everyones dollar to go farther especially from the Uk. Check out the line (XCD2) compressed neoprene drysuit.

If you are off the rack than go for it prices are certainly more affordable.. I'm currently diving a DUI CF200 signature package custom cut. If you are a wreck diver this is one of the best ways to go. Granted my suit is only a year old it has 150 dives on it and has performed perfectly!! The bouyancy characteristics of the crushed neoprene is superb as well as flexibility and strength of the fabric make it like wearing a sheet of armour!!

I find bi lams and tri-lams rip easily on wrecks even with perfect bouyancy control. Some penetration can get tight. I think that ABYSS makes an excellent suit and ultra tough but not to flexible.

Viking suits are more for commercial work and contaminated waters but do have some good points. You can patch a suit on site and continue on with the dive (have found them not to comfy) .

Whites has a fantastic line and they custom cut often very reasonably. Last but not least no matter what you buy get fitted correctly excess material can be a hazard in a drysuit!! Also ask about warranty and when you narrow down the suit get more feed back from scubaboard.. GOOD LUCK
:D :D

Drysuits???

Hi guys there are about a million different syles of suits bilams, trilams, vulcanized rubber, compressed neo, crushed, etc.
I have owned 4 different suits inluding viking, bare, tusa, DUI.

An excellent suit for the money would be a BARE. Excellent quailty and workmanship and being made in Canada allows for everyones dollar to go farther especially from the Uk. Check out the line (XCD2) compressed neoprene drysuit.

If you are off the rack than go for it prices are certainly more affordable.. I'm currently diving a DUI CF200 signature package custom cut. If you are a wreck diver this is one of the best ways to go. Granted my suit is only a year old it has 150 dives on it and has performed perfectly!! The bouyancy characteristics of the crushed neoprene is superb as well as flexibility and strength of the fabric make it like wearing a sheet of armour!!

I find bi lams and tri-lams rip easily on wrecks even with perfect bouyancy control. Some penetration can get tight. I think that ABYSS makes an excellent suit and ultra tough but not to flexible.

Viking suits are more for commercial work and contaminated waters but do have some good points. You can patch a suit on site and continue on with the dive (have found them not to comfy) .

Whites has a fantastic line and they custom cut often very reasonably. Last but not least no matter what you buy get fitted correctly excess material can be a hazard in a drysuit!! Also ask about warranty and when you narrow down the suit get more feed back from scubaboard.. GOOD LUCK
:D :D

Ninja---

:hehe:Looks like you double clutched the reply button there....I'll delete one of them if you let me know which can go bye-bye.

The flexibility of the Abyss TX suit (2mm fully compressed/collapsed) is on par (perhaps better) with the Vikings and tougher DUI suits. It's certainly not as flexible as many of the sport suits on the market.
There's a lot of give and take when it comes to drysuits. I need a tough suit more than anything, but if I were after an excellant quality, yet flexible suit, it would probably look at the DUI TLS350.

Mike

Lots of choices in the dry suit market. Nothern Diver makes 2.5 mm. compressed neoprene suit. And they now have a suit made of cordura. Cordura is without a doubt the best puncture resistant material on the market. Unfortunately, it has zero stretch characteristics. That's the compromise. Gates has the VSN 1100 which has always left me with a feeling of awe-tough, stretchy material. And Gates also makes a cordura suit, the CBX 450. I think the Bare suits are well made and tend to be reasonably priced-both the dry and wet suits.

The DUI suits are so expensive. They are nice but cost so much more than other suits or comparable quality.

After talking to several people locally and online, I bought the DUI tsl350se.

I dive locally in cold, open water, and don't have much need for the extra durability of more expensive (cordura/neoprene) suits.

I bought the DUI suit for $800 us. Although it doesn't have suspenders or ankle straps, it does have an adjustable waist cord. It also comes with double material over the knees and shins. I opted for the kevlar knee pads for extra durability.

I was able to wear a factory medium, which fits very well with my weezle extreme undergarment. You can also purchase DUI suits as factory seconds or pre-owned from the factory.

I might sound like a DUI ad (not really I don't write that well), but I rented drysuits first, then did some demo's and I finally decided that I really liked the fit and finish of the DUI suit.

You can easily get suspenders put in the suit if you feel you need them. You might not if it fits really well.

$800.00 is a good price of a good suit that fits well.

Dui are only available in stock sizes in the U.K. If you want a tri-laminate thats tough, look at the Polar bear range or Otter. They are not the cheapest suits. In your part of the world Gul, O'Three and Polar bear make to measure and their work shops are not far away. Bristol Scuba has a reputation for giving a good discount, but shop around first. http://www.divebag.co.uk/
will give you a rough guide, their prices can be beaten.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom