How much light?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Packhorse

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am building a video light set up for a friend.

Im looking at a twin head set up each with 4 Cree XP-G LEDs rated at about 490 lumen each.

He uses a Nikon D90 with a fish eye lens ( and others) that gives him 170 deg view.

The idea is to use the bare LED's with no optics. This would mean they would give a 120 deg wide beam before intensity falls below 50%. This will result in a very even beam.

Question is will it be enough light? ( can you ever have enough?).
Will the beam simply be too wide?

It depends. If you shoot at night, in caves, really deep, or in other low light situations, it may be fine. The problem may show up during id-day when you are competing with the full sun to try to blot out that blue. I'd say get wet and give it a try.

It depends. If you shoot at night, in caves, really deep, or in other low light situations, it may be fine. The problem may show up during id-day when you are competing with the full sun to try to blot out that blue. I'd say get wet and give it a try.

I agree. Night will probably be ok. Daytime wide angle video lighting is tough. I suggest opening the aperture, setting shutter at 50-60 and doing a manual white balance. If it's too bright, close the aperture or go to shutter priority mode and let the cam auto adjust aperture, but leave the shutter at 50-60. That usually will produce better results than lights.

Last edited:
You can never have enough light. I am using two 1,000 lumens LEDs and still find it not enough. At night and wreck dives its great since it basically lights up the whole dive for everyone lol. During day dives, its not much use unless your subjects are within 2 to 3 meters or so but really depends on your visibility as well.

Back
Top Bottom