How much for a shotgun?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SelkieDVM

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
In a effort to divest myself of unused stuff and raise diving money, I have decided to sell a shotgun that was given to me years ago by an ex. However, I don't know much about such things and was wondering how much I might reasonably get for it.

It is a Browning Citori over/under 12 gauge, with 28" barrels and 3.5" chamber. It has four chokes but I've forgotten what type. From the serial number (72626PN103) it appears to have been manufactured in 1989. I believe I recall the ex saying he paid $1100 for it in the early nineties. It appears to be in excellent condition. I will try to post pics later today.

So, any guns experts out there who can help me out with a ballpark value? How about the best place to sell it? Thanks very much!

L.

Condition is everything and the value can be found in a gun bluebook that will break the value down based on condition.

In general, if you sell it to a shop, you will get only about 50-70% of what it is worth depending on the shop and the demand for you particular gun in that particular area. With a private sale you can do a bit better - but understand that if the buyer wanted to pay full price, they could do so at a shop with some guarentee of a warrantee if the gun is later found to have a problem.

Selling it on-line through gunbroker is another option that can sometimes get you a better price for rare, expensive or other weapons that may have a niche market that will sell fast on line but woudl langunish in a shop until the right buyer comes along.

A Browning Citori is very nice, but fit is everything in a shot gun and a shotgunner willing to spend that much often has very particular tastes. The fit issue also works against an on-line sale.

Over/Under shotguns are normally very pricey and Browning is a good name brand. I'd be willing to bet that you can get most of that 1100 dollars back.

I've sold a few firearms, always through a local gun shop, and I'd agree with the 50-70% of new. But if in your area over/unders are in demand and the dealer knows he can unload it fast it could be up 85% or so.

You could try to look for a similar gun on Gunbroker.com or AuctionArms.com to give you a better idea. I've bought from Gunbroker.com without problems but haven't ever sold. Personally, I'd rather make a little less money going through a FFL dealer and have the buyer get background checked. No liability on my end.

If you got a model number I got a Shooters Bible. Seems like the 425 Ultra Sporter or Sporting Clay, Is it staineless? are running around $1700.00. If it were a Golden Clay it would be around $3300.00 The Light Sporting Model 802ES is listed at $1880.00 With more info I could get more specific.

Thanks everyone for your replies and helpful advice. I'm having a little trouble getting the pictures up.

Mavdog, I did a little more research and from the serial number I can tell you that it is a Grade I Hunting model. All of the metal is blue finish (except the trigger).

If I could know that I wasn't being ripped off I would probably sell it to a shop even though I know I wouldn't be getting the top retail amount. 70-85% sounds fair, I realize they need to be able to make a profit when reselling it.

Can gun shops provide written estimates after evaluating the condition? I'd pay a reasonable fee for this even if I don't sell to them. It looks great and feels tight to me but again, I'm ignorant here.

You guys are the best!

Many gun shops will sell on consignment. If you bring it in and ask for an estimate based on consignment and then ask what they'll pay for it right now you should be pretty sure of getting an honest price. Or if you're no sure bring it to at least two places, if their estimates are close that's a good sign.

Browning Citori Shotguns

Citori Grade I Hunting: Blued steal with engraving Pistol/grip stock beavertail forearm 12ga.,
3.5" mag 28" or 30 " barrels... $1418.00 ..........Invector-plus chokes add.... $210.00

Depending on condition you should be able to get $1000.00 off just about anybody

Thank you very much!
:D
L.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom