How much experience for Galapagos?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On the liveaboard that I was on (the Estrella del Mar), we were specifically told that if we were seen touching a whale shark, we would not be allowed to dive again for the rest of the trip.

Same on Deep Blue last November.

For the record, I don't agree with mossman. There's no need to touch the whale shark. There's no need to touch the rays or the eels either, and I don't personally. Nor the iguanas etc above land.

For touching it should be avoided with most creatures. Any creature with a slime coat should not be touched as it is part of their protection against skin infections. Human skin on "fish skin" especially. Even rays and sharks can be affected. They are having skin issues with the mantas of Hawaii and Yap where they come in contact with humans. Also an issue with getting close enough to touch any creature is the risk of unintentional contact with something sharp on your gear, camera, etc...

That said if you are "approached" by and octo, wolf eel, or the like letting them investigate you is probably less of an issue as long as you do what you strive to keep your contact with them to a minimum.

But "hugging" any fish is a bad idea.

For touching it should be avoided with most creatures. Any creature with a slime coat should not be touched as it is part of their protection against skin infections. Human skin on "fish skin" especially. Even rays and sharks can be affected. They are having skin issues with the mantas of Hawaii and Yap where they come in contact with humans. Also an issue with getting close enough to touch any creature is the risk of unintentional contact with something sharp on your gear, camera, etc...
I completely agree about the skin-on-skin aspect for sensitive creatures. That's another reason why no-gloves rules are lousy. Mantas get pink spots where they've been touched. On the other hand, if you want to fondle a ray, there's a great opportunity to do so in the Maui Aquarium where you can dive with, touch, and feed the resident eagle ray.

That said if you are "approached" by and octo, wolf eel, or the like letting them investigate you is probably less of an issue as long as you do what you strive to keep your contact with them to a minimum.
If I were a fish or marine mammal, I'd interpret "strive to keep your contact with them to a minimum" as a sign of fear and go into immediate attack mode. If a fish wants to hug me, I'll let it.
But "hugging" any fish is a bad idea.
Apparently Napoleon Wrasse are special. Here's are some quotes from the Palau Aggressor Captain's Log:

9/12-9/19/04: "Sweetie, the resident Napoleon Wrasse was letting everybody know she had missed us the last couple of months. As always eagerly awaiting her treat and hugs."
9/19-9/26/04: "Thursday back to Blue Corner because the demand was so high. Same action different day. Sharks patrolling and Sweetie, the Napoleon Wrasse, passing out hugs. German Channel next with a great red anemone, with some nice dives at Ngerchong Outside and Ngerchong Inside finishing of the day."
I recall that the cook on the Tahiti Aggressor got rather frisky with a resident Napoleon Wrasse there too.

Perhaps hugs are wrong, but I'm guessing the fish prefer it to the alternative: "The wealthier echelons of society in Hong Kong, Singapore and Taiwan have an insatiable appetite for the flesh of the Napoleon Wrasse. It is popular in this region to advertise one's wealth by paying upward of US$1,500 to dine on a single fish, or up to US$400 for a set of lips." [from PBS]

Additional question...

I'm about to leave to the Galapagos next week (wouhou!!!)

What kind of gear have you dived with? I've dived a lot in Canada (e.g. 2 piece 7mm wetsuits) and was considering whether wearing just one piece, getting another 7mm or 5mm one piece... Any ideas.

Furthermore my wife get's quite cold easily so I'm getting here an Arctic 7mm vest (e.g. shorty with hood of 7mm) to over her 3/4mm.

Also with regards to all the current what do you suggest as a good system to tie off a Camera? I was also thinking of tying off with a reef hook, any thoughts on that?

Any and all suggestions welcome.

Thanks!

Coiled lanyard for the camera. Clip it to your BC.

For wetsuit, it is better to be too warm than too cold. You can always unzip a suit to cool off.

Just realized that I wrote I was planning to tying off the camera with a reef hook... LOL. absolutely not what I meant.

Was commenting on using a reef hook to shoot whilst under water instead of grappling on to rocks what do you guys' think?

Reef hooks are used on coral reefs to avoid damaging surrounding corals, but they have disadvantages. You're hanging out like a kite in the wind, rather than hunkering down against the reef, so you bear much more of the brunt of the current. In Galapagos, it's mainly barnacle-encrusted rock, and it's easy to avoid the few scattered corals that exist, so one can hug the rocks and allow the current to wash over oneself.

Also, there are particular nuisance/safety issues with reef hooks: (1) BC is inflated after reef hook is set, which could lead to a rapid ascent if the line breaks free and the busy photographer doesn't react in time; (2) reef hook can become very difficult to remove, requiring it to be cut from the line or detached from the BC or otherwise lead to panic in some divers; (3) one usually wears thick gloves in the Galapagos, and this can make it more difficult to set and free the hook.

Also, you're on the move quite a bit, as the DM's often relocate once or twice during the dive to where they feel is a better spot for viewing sharks, or you might relocate near your spot to find a better vantage point/angle. Plus, in whale shark season at least, you're always at the ready to bolt out into the blue on the DM's signal, and don't want to be fussing with having to free a badly wedged-in reef hook.

Just realized that I wrote I was planning to tying off the camera with a reef hook... LOL. absolutely not what I meant.

Was commenting on using a reef hook to shoot whilst under water instead of grappling on to rocks what do you guys' think?

I would bring the reef hook so you have the option. Most of my dives, I was able to find a spot where I could straddle a rock with my legs. This was perfect since it freed my hands to shoot video. However, a few times I ventured out to the point to get closer to the eagle rays and there was no good spot for my legs. I was forced to hold a rock with one hand while the other held the camera. Wish I had a reef hook for that situation.

I would bring the reef hook so you have the option. Most of my dives, I was able to find a spot where I could straddle a rock with my legs. This was perfect since it freed my hands to shoot video. However, a few times I ventured out to the point to get closer to the eagle rays and there was no good spot for my legs. I was forced to hold a rock with one hand while the other held the camera. Wish I had a reef hook for that situation.

This is good advice and was what we did on our trip last September. Some spots the hooks work great and you can just relax and flap in the current. Just remember you only need enough air in your BC to be positive, not inflated like a Macy's parade balloon.

With regards to the touching of whale sharks or anything else: It is against the Galapagos National Park rules to touch any of the wildlife...sea, land, or air! Although many of the animals seem docile enough to "pet", they are still wild animals.
WIth regards to the wetsuit, I agree...better to be too warm than too cold. Also, your suit and equipment can very quickly go from "brand new looking" to "more than slightly used" looking in a matter of a dive! You can rent some 7mm long wetsuits and gear from local dive shops, or contact the boat itself/your tour operator to be sure to get the size you need in advance. The water temps up at D/W a week ago were approx 23 C, but on the check dive and last dive closer to the middle of the archipelago, temps were at 17C! I´d leave the reef hook at home...one less thing to worry about during the chases. Have a great time!

Back
Top Bottom