how much do a rebreather dive cost?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mad

Contributor
Reaction score
I know they're very expensive but how much?
ciao

Prices vary for units, training and level of same, as well as gases and absorbents needed.

The least expensive RB is probably the Dräger Ray for less than $2000.
The most expensive ... am not sure, probably the Mk 16 at over $50000.

Some run off dual Nitrox tanks, the fills usually charged by the tank around here. Others use air and O2, or Heliox and O2. The latter two are usually charged by the cu.ft. ... .

Could you be a bit more specific?

A rebreather DIVE is much cheaper than the same OC dive

Take for example a weekends diving on a 50m wreck followed by a 15m drift in the afternoon, a typical day, repeated the next day

Twin 12l 232 tanks with 18/30 trimix, cost to fill approx £20 ($30), 7l 50% 232 at £6 ($10), so thats $40 a day or $80 for the weekend

Same dive on Inspiration
2 Sofnolime fill at £7 ($10) for a total of $20
1 3L O2 at £6 ($10) last both days
1 3L 18/30 at £7 ($10) lasts both days
So total of $40 for whole weekend

So once your into Helium the Yellow box is much cheaper to run

Thats quoting shop prices here, I can fill my Inspiration cheaper than that. (so cheap in fact I use 18/30 for virtually every dive). I get 5 hours of diving from each 3l fill and the sofno lasts 3 hours

50,000 bucks for an Mk.16??!?!
WOW!

I figured they were expensive, but that's borderline absurd.
Is that because they're just that expensive to make, or is it that hard to get your hands on one?

It's military hardware, they won't sell you a unit if you just walk through the door. As they are used for EOD, they need to be non-magnetic. So we are talking composites, ceramics etc. for hardware. Jacks the price up.
That aside, it's the government buying, they frequently are inefficient with money. Check your question, I just posted some info there on used rigs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom