How might Cindy and Dennis affect my weekend to P City?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dlwalke

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I don't have enough experience to know about such things, so I am wondering what some of the more experienced divers in the area are expecting. I am driving down THur night and hoped to dive Fri and Saturday and maybe Sunday (both off of a boat and at the St. Andrew Jetties). Looks now like Tropical Storm Cindy is coming ashore early Wed morning a couple of hundred miles east of P City (in East LA) and will track northeast after that. Dennis (currently a Tropical Storm) is expected to be just south of the western part of Cuba Friday morning and just north of the western part of Cuba Saturday morning. I would guess mid-Gulf by Sunday. If this holds true, is it likely that the viz will be lousy? Is an expected tropical depression or storm landfall 200 miles to the west likely to have a big negative influence on the diving. Should I book an offshore rather than inshore trip (i.e., is the viz better the further offshore you go, or is it just going to mean a longer uncomfortable ride)? What would the best alternative dive be (i.e., a spring in the area that's worth diving)? I've already got $75 on 3-days of camping at St. Andrews and have a 3-day weekend, so I'm not eager to postpone.

Thanks for any input,
Dave

Dave

The storms will affect you primarly in sea conditions.
Tonight the prediction is 5 to 7 foot seas building to 8 - 10 feet
Tomorrow 10 to 15 foot seas
Thursday 4 to 6 feet subsiding to 3 to 4
Friday 2 Feet but the vis will be ugly
Saturday 2 to 4 and on Sunday 4 to 6 as Dennis enters the Gulf

Right now the buoy 115 nm southeast of Pensacola is registering 5.9 foot waves with a six second interval.

Since you are camping you probably can expect some rain.

This is turning out to be the second frustrating summer in a row for us divers.

Good luck

Any reputable facility (camping or otherwise) should refund your money if you're stay there would put you at risk, or even just be a guaranteed miserable experience. Call and see what their policy is.

Just checked the forecast and the northern gulf coast is definitely not a place I'd want to be this weekend! :11:

This morning things were not too bad around the pass, but the water looked like chocolate, with clouds of weak coffee.

Unless something else comes along you should have decent conditions as far as navigation but you may have to use inches (instead of feet) to describe the visibility.

I'm supposed to take our church youth group to a camp in Panama City, Fl (leaving this friday the 15th). Does anyone know if that area is under mandatory evac? It looks like PCB is close to the eastern edge of the projected path of Dennis. Any info would be quite useful. Links to useful sites would be great too. (I know it will have made land fall by the time we leave, but I also know damage lingers on for years).

Because hurricanes rotate CCW, the highest winds and worst flooding are usually on the east side (for a north bound storm). Panama City may be far enough away to escape major damage, but call the campground on Monday to see how they fared through the ordeal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom