How many spare batteries?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BethanyW

Reaction score
So, I'm preparing to take my new Canon S50 diving while on spring break. Nothing too hefty, some two-tank dives in the mornings with maybe some snorkeling or sightseeing in the afternoons.

Obviously I need at least one spare battery pack for the camera. What I'm wondering is if one spare will be enough or if I'll want 2 spares (3 batteries total). As they're $50 a pop I'd rather not get more batteries than I have to, but if you need them you need them, of course.

Thanks,

Bethany

Aren't they rechargeable? I'm not sure how long the Canon batteries last but I keep 3 sets for my camera...one in the camera, one fully charged and ready to use, and the third in the charger.

BethanyW:
Obviously I need at least one spare battery pack for the camera. What I'm wondering is if one spare will be enough or if I'll want 2 spares (3 batteries total). As they're $50 a pop I'd rather not get more batteries than I have to, but if you need them you need them, of course.

Thanks,

Bethany

Tough luck - Everyone knows how I feel about proprietary batteries.

Get at least 1 back up, and 2 if you can (for a total of 3). I don't know where the $50 is coming from - the NB-2L batts go for about $10 - $18 on eBay. It takes about 80 minutes to charge one of the batts, I believe. So best to have one workable unit, while the other is charging.

K

I usually have at least 2 sets for a live aboard trip. One in the camera and one in the charger. Usually I have a third set as a spare somewhere as well. If I am doing multiple days, land base day trip, I have at least 3 sets, 1 set in the camera, a spare set, fully charged with me on the boat and one set back at the dive resort in a charger.

Huh, I hadn't though of ebay, I was looking at the prices at B&H. I'm not sure I want to experiment with off-off-off brand batteries, though, and I haven't got time for the name-brand ones that are up on ebay to ship from Hong Kong before I leave.

There's a Power2000 brand battery pack on B&H for less than the Canon-brand battery. Would it stil use the normal Canon battery charger?

I've used Power2000 batteries and they are pretty good and are my second choice. I prefer the PowerEx from Thomas Distributing. You don't mention the exact size battery you need but you can probably find it there. They ship really quik, too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom