How many of you use a lanyard/line to connect your camera to your BC?

Do you use a lanyard or tether for your camera?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I started off attaching my camera....a Point and shoot with a strobe. Very soon after, I just decided not to bother. Even now when using a DSLR. I find that if conditions are really that bad that you may have to let go and ditch your camera.....you MAY not want to have it attached to you and flapping around in strong current. If I think that may happen, I would abort the dive anyway! I say that but I do have a carabiner on my chest D-ring and will clip on my rig if I need to work with both hands.

I have hung on to rocks in heavy current with one hand holding my DSLR....even taken photos while at it...... however, if the combination of one hand and heavy finning will not do the job. I would not try it anyway and abort. I am just as afraid of the camera smashing on the rocks as I am of losing it.

My rig is always as balanced as I can get it and it and I rather hold it after that than clip it. Having said that, on my last trip to Sipadan, I saw a Japanese diver with really cool clips on each handle of his DSLR which he would clip on his chest D-Ring as he cruised the walls.... very cool.....

Here is a photo I took in heavy current with a hand on the rocks and the DSLR in the other hand.....I could only take 2 shots as my strobe arms folded back flat from the current! After the shot....I let go and continued flying along while I adjusted my arms again.

3005227981_b28b13fe8d_o.jpg

Oh....I will say, this question should be directed at people with large rigs such as DSLR users or PNS users with strobe systems. If I had just a Point and shoot, I would certainly clip it on purely for comfort reasons.

DAMN, this is a gorgeous shot!!

The setup you saw that Japanese diver using sounds interesting. Would you be willing to describe it in a little more detail?

I use a coil lanyard with a larger brass snap bolt to attach to my scooter ring on my BC. Simulair to this:
crlo3.jpg

Ditto here. When floating mid water to shoot my DSMB, I attach the QD buckle and let the camera hang low so I can use both hands on the bag and spool while the camera is clear of the line.

DAMN, this is a gorgeous shot!!

The setup you saw that Japanese diver using sounds interesting. Would you be willing to describe it in a little more detail?

Thanks. The Japanese photographer had one quick release clip on each side of the top of the handle......the clip was attached to the handle via a very short ballistic nylon loop. It looked like it would not get in the way when shooting. When he was cruising the walls and clearing his mask for example, he would clip the rig on his BC, with each clip on his left and right Chest Dring. The rig would then hang like a giant medallion while he maintained a horizontal position.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom