How many of you divers own at least 1 dive light?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tactical_hid

Registered
Reaction score
Just wondering how many divers hear own at least one dive light?

I'm working for a company that develops tactical flashlights and were getting into the diving light market as well, so I'm just trying to do some research.

I'd really appreciate it if you could answer a few simple questions:

-Please list the lights you have and when / what you specifically use them for.

-What type of bulb / batteries does the light use?

- What is the typical runtime that it gets? What type of runtime do you want?

- Approximately how much do the dive lights you own cost?

- Any other comments, tips, suggestions, or requests as far as the development of a new dive light.

Thanks so much guys! :D

-Jason
Tactical HID

UK C8 eLED (8x C-cell) main, UK mini Q40 eLED (4 AA) backup..
Runtime? No clue, havent had them die yet, I just change the batteries "every now and then".

If its of any use to know - My diving is just recreational, so what the lights are mainly used for is night dives, wrecks and the odd cavern dive.

Last edited:
Any diver that owns only 1 dive light isn't ready to do a night dive. 2 are recommended even for recreational night diving.
I own a 337 lumen Princeton tech Miniwav LED 4C $80
and a UK Q40 eLED plus as a backup lite. 4AA $35
the runtime on each can exceed any single dive I have the ability to do. In most cases any 2 dives with juice left over.
It's time for someone to manufacture a small high power canister light on the cheap all the parts are available.

Dive rite slimline 10w HID / Primary light on every dive/ HID / NiMH / 5 hours / plenty good runtime / $350

Halcyon Scout 3-cell lights / 2 carried as backup on every dive (one on each shoulder strap) / LED / NiMH / 7-10 hours / plenty good run time / $120 each

1 X custom made quad LED can light running NiCd cells. 2 hours @ full output. 20 hours on low
2 X highly modified LED IST brand lights. Li Ion cells Upto 4 hours total out put
1 X highly modified LED Ultrafire W200 brand lights highly modified Li Ion cells. Upto 4 hours @ full output.
1 X highly modified multi Die LED Ultrafire W200 brand lights highly modified Li Ion cells. Upto 1.5 hours @ full output 15 hours on low.
1 X custom made LED lighting system for still camera Li Ion cells Upto 1.5 hours @ full output
A few others that dont get used.

Halogen is dead!
HID is dying (well maybe just very ill)
LED is king. Long live the King!

Intova narrow beam LED - CR123 cells.
Oxycheq Raider II LED - AA cells.

I'd guess 1 - 2 hours good light, tapering off from there.

Each of these were around $55. Only the Intova was worth the cost.

I would prefer ~2 hours of good light output. LED. AA or CR123 batteries are ok. I would prefer to be able to use standard size rechargeables. Be careful that the coating you choose - if using aluminum housings - will stand up to use and abuse. Also make sure the light can take getting banged around some and has a hole in the tail end for tying on a bolt snap.

2 or 3 light levels would be a nice option as would variable focus/center spot size.

Please make sure to properly design the reflector/lens so as to provide a smooth and evenly lit center spot as well as halo.

Henrik

Just wondering how many divers hear own at least one dive light?
-Please list the lights you have and when / what you specifically use them for.
-What type of bulb / batteries does the light use?
- What is the typical runtime that it gets? What type of runtime do you want?
- Approximately how much do the dive lights you own cost?

Dive Rite Slimline 10w HID (Primary light, all dives); HID; NiMH; 5 hours; $450
Halcyon Scout Xenon (primary backup, all dives); Xenon; 3 C batteries; 6 hours (~); $80
OxyCheq 3 Watt LED (secondary backup, night dives); LED; 3 AA batteries; 4.5 hours; $60

Any other comments, tips, suggestions, or requests as far as the development of a new dive light.
Lightweight; able to adapt hand strap to fasten light to back of hand; easy to turn on/off with gloves on, but not easy to accidentally turn on/off

I have 3 8(c) battery hand held lights, 2 4(c) battery lights and 3 4(AA) battery lights, all rec related and for rec. Wreck. burn times are all at least 2hours but the batteries get changed before dives and I never had one go out so no idea. I am looking to build or buy a 20+W canister light for full wreck soon. would like to spend under $200, make one and I will buy it.

Thanks a lot guys for your responses so far... very helpful! We're working on making an MCE Powered 700 Lumen dive light avilable.

Also what would you say the minum required runtime would be for a light? An hour?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom