How many mm for diving in Australia?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

h3o:
1-3mm shorties

You must be joking! 1mm shorty in Brissy in Winter! You are either a superhuman who doesn't feel the cold or absolutely mad. It's not the GBR in FNQ, it's Brisbane. It can get pretty cool there in winter.

As I've said earlier I think a 3mm shortie is really going to push the comfort level.

Did my Open Water just south of Brisbane at Byron Bay in October 1999. Wore 5mm suit and was very comfortable. If you get the chance then go to Byron Bay as it is a really laid back community with good diving and a very lively social scene. Dived with Sundive - see link. I'm really envious and wish I was going with you.

http://www.sundive.com.au/

David

We dove farther north on Osprey in the end of June last year, and were fine with our 3mm. We did notice however as the boat moved south the water became somewhat cooler than it was in the north. At a high of 82 at Osprey, it was 77 at Steve's Bommie and at that point I was glad to have a 1mm that I wear over my 3mm especially on the night dives.

Dive Safe,
Caymanac

I'll be visiting friends outside in Brisbane early August. For the GBR, what's the temp/wetsuit recommendations for August? Any recommendations for day-trip outfits there abouts? How much to rent gear usually? I'm travelling light (meaning with family so no way they'll let me take all my dive gear and fill up luggage allowance that way). :) Thanks for the help.

Morlock,

I was surfing along the Gold Coast last June with just quick dry shorts and no top and it was fine. So I figured a 1-3mm suits would be fine for diving in that area.

Dived Byron Bay today with water temps 18 degrees C - you would be called crazy in a 3mm shorty ... I was happy with my 5mm 2 piece !

call me a woooozzz ... but ... I recommend comfort

See you underwater ...

Tim

I would defintely take a 5mm, we are having a particularly bad cold snap for us here in Cairns and has been fairly cool and blowy. Brisbane is only colder, I wouldn't go in at Cairns right now without a 5mm and hood :)

ASB

Shep I noticed your posting, maybe you can give me some info.?
I will be in Cronulla, NSW in mid to the end of December,2004 for my daughters wedding(yes to an Aussie).
I will not be able to go far from this area on this trip. Can you make suggestions for boat diving or shore diving in the area. I will be bringing my own equipment(except for tanks). I have a full 3MM suit would it be okay or should i get a skin? Would you know of someone that I can buddy up with for weekday dives? My email is listed below.

thanks,
Howard
divhs@yahoo.com

shep:
Triciad,

Things are good here right now. The water temps are holding up unusually good for this time of year. I did a dive yesterday in 21° C. (about 70° F) water in New South Wales, about 1,500 miles SOUTH of the GBR. You'll be fine with a 3 mil. up north.

Conditions are fantastic right now.

shep- oh, and thanks for the heads up on the airfare from Vancouver. Bring hot sauce!- as there's none worth eating here! HELP! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom