• 2 per year

Votes: 12 5.7%
  • 6 per year. One every second month.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • 12 per year. One every month.

Votes: 10 4.7%
  • 1 every week

Votes: 25 11.8%
  • I don't care and believe that shark finning or culling is morally wrong.

Votes: 89 42.0%
  • I find this poll disturbing and hopelessly flawed.

Votes: 61 28.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

But I don't think sharks are going to be the -only- part of the choice. So if say, the touristry minster of a state in Australia killed 3,000 sharks; but I knew there were still bull sharks in Playa del Carmen that attacked a person at the beach; well, I still wouldn't go dive in Australia because it is 'safe'. Because 1) I would not want to support the decimation of a species and 2) it's crazy expensive to get to Australia. I'd still dive in Mexico.

In this scenario, all things were not equal. So let's say two destinations cost the same, and all else was equal. As a tourist, I would not give my money to a region that culled sharks. I don't care if it makes me statistically safer; statistically, I was already very safe and the world wide food chain hasn't been interupted, not to mention the life of so many animals.

Yes, all is not equal. But not everyone lives close to Mexico and far away from Australia. Yes, sharks are not the only thing. But for example, a co-worker recently went to Hawaii, relax some at the beach and swim and snorkel. She was very afraid after she read the news about a shark attacking a German woman (who sadly did not survive). From Germany, it's like 24 hours to Hawaii. Same time you can be in Australia, or anywhere else in SE-Asia (or in Mexico). (She went anyways, and she did snorkel and enjoyed it very much.)

There are people who read up on sharks, data and statistics etc., but there are also people who just do not care and just want to enjoy their vacation. For them, it's probably the obvious choice to pick a country that is in their mind "safe". And I fear they are the majority.

If it's just for diving, for me there are still plenty of spots in SE Asia left that I want to dive, so for diving alone I'd not pick Australia (not because of the sharks, but it's expensive and far for me too), no matter if they cull or not. I would pick Australia though to dive with a friend, no matter if they cull or not. As you said, all things are not equal when picking a dive destination.

But I agree with you, if all things were equal apart of the culling, I'd pick the country that doesn't cull.

(By the way, I'm not trying to defend the culling, but I can see why some people are in favor of the culling and think it is the way to go.)

IMHO your poll is hopelessly flawed. First I am not aware, even in Australia or Florida for that matter that there have been ANY unprovoked shark attacks on SCUBA divers. What do I mean by unprovoked? You put yourself in a dangerous positition by participating in shark feeding "encounters," by spearfishing, or by swimming at the surface (including surfing or boogie boarding). That leaves us with attacks on submerged SCUBA divers minding their own business of which I know of none.

If I was diving in Australia, I'd be much more concerned about box jellies than sharks any day.

But I agree with you, if all things were equal apart of the culling, I'd pick the country that doesn't cull.

(By the way, I'm not trying to defend the culling, but I can see why some people are in favor of the culling and think it is the way to go.)

I don't like the word "cull" with respect to sharks. You "cull" a heard animal because as a group the heard is generally having a negative impact on their environment. It is done to keep the herd healthy.

What we're talking about here isn't "culling", it's just plain old fashioned "over fishing". Not for the environment, not for any good biological reason whatsoever. But to empty the ocean of sharks because people are afraid of them.

That's not culling. That's just killing.

R..

Well look at the movie I wrote about some posts back. The divers were not in a cage while the chum was in the water. The sharks didn't gave a second look at the divers. Of course when you are spearfishing and have the dead fish close to you, it al might end differently...

I don't like the word "cull" with respect to sharks. You "cull" a heard animal because as a group the heard is generally having a negative impact on their environment. It is done to keep the herd healthy.

What we're talking about here isn't "culling", it's just plain old fashioned "over fishing". Not for the environment, not for any good biological reason whatsoever. But to empty the ocean of sharks because people are afraid of them.

That's not culling. That's just killing.

R..

Apologies, English is not my first language. I just copied the word from the reply to my post, should have looked it up.

Apologies, English is not my first language. I just copied the word from the reply to my post, should have looked it up.

You got it right. Your English is good.

Scuba diving I dont' worry about sharks. Spearfishing.... I keep a sharp eye out.....but if I was still in Hawaii I'd be nervous about surfing in dirty water where I could be easily mistaken. I have no problem culling some big tigers. They obviously made a strong come back after they stopped culling them in Hawaii back in the 70s. I would prefer 20 eight footers to 5 fifteen footers.

. I have no problem culling some big tigers. They obviously made a strong come back after they stopped culling them in Hawaii back in the 70s. I would prefer 20 eight footers to 5 fifteen footers.

Hunh? Please explain your thought process for me. Do you believe that 15 footers won't bite you or if they do, it won't leave as bad a mark?

Hunh? Please explain your thought process for me. Do you believe that 15 footers won't bite you or if they do, it won't leave as bad a mark?
As I understood it he'd rather have 20 of the 8-foot sharks RATHER THAN 5 of teh 15-foot ones.
From a "likely theill try to eat me" point of view I can see that, however theres a REASON why those sharks get as big as they do. Their size relate to what prey they take and how efficiently they can influence the balance of the oceans the way they "are meant to". Unfortunately for us, were not really part of that equation and as such whatever we do to skew that balance can have ramifications way beyond what we realize..

It was a typo. I meant to refer to the 8 footers not being as likely to bite him or leave a bad mark. :)

No body told me about SHARKS !!!!!....I didn't get that memo !!!!!.....It's just one thing after another !!!! :-(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom