• 2 per year

Votes: 12 5.7%
  • 6 per year. One every second month.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • 12 per year. One every month.

Votes: 10 4.7%
  • 1 every week

Votes: 25 11.8%
  • I don't care and believe that shark finning or culling is morally wrong.

Votes: 89 42.0%
  • I find this poll disturbing and hopelessly flawed.

Votes: 61 28.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Need a don't care would still dive option.

Love the numbers though. Is there anywhere that sharks attack more than a couple of people a year?

Yes there are locations where the number of attacks are higher than a couple a year.

That said, I don't believe there are any locations approaching the higher numbers shown in the poll. My guess is that there are places in the world where it would be suicidal to enter the water without protection. In that case I expect people simply avoid entering the water.

For the purpose of this poll that would be considered a statistical outlier. So, if you cannot find any suitable options on the poll simply don't vote.

Again I'd ask that people avoid comments that are off topic, and that are intentionally trying to influence people taking the poll or discourage people taking the poll.

If you do not vote please refrain from commenting.

---------- Post added February 18th, 2014 at 07:29 PM ----------

2. This is a SCUBA Board and you did not define what type of victim of the fatal "Shark Attack" you talking about. Just any fatal attack of swimmer, wader, surfer, snorkeler, SCUBA diver or person who fell overboard or are we talking SCUBA divers only? Since most shark attacks are swimmers, surfers and waders they really do not involve SCUBA divers. It is very rare for a shark to attack a SCUBA diver under water. So like some others, I may go dive the area to see the sharks, just don't do a surface swim, get under quickly.

Guidelines are provided in the OP.

Assume the coastline is straight and sharks can move freely along the coast.

Assume you are diving without any special protection like a shark cage.

Assume that there is no human feeding of sharks in the area.

Assume that the attacks occur on people in the water undertaking the normal spectrum of activities including diving.

The last one addresses your question and is the most realistic assumption to make for the purposes of the poll. The gist of it is to say the fatal attacks occur on ocean goers involved in a wide range of water sports. That being the case, how would you respond? Would it put you off diving?

Just assume you will carry out your normal diving activities.

Last edited:
Your poll sucks... why not list an attack every hour, every minute, every second? My guess is it would just emphasize how ridiculous the whole thing is. You're talking to scuba divers. Hell, I don't even know that many surfers who get out of the water when sharks are sighted and sharks hit them significantly more often than divers. (Notice I didn't say "attack"... it's not an attack.)

I can't vote in your poll because it's not legitimate.

Without a "no effect on my decision" option, the poll is what's known as a "push poll" ... its purpose is to provide "data" to support a predetermined conclusion ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

So, if you cannot find any suitable options on the poll simply don't vote.

Allow me to rephrase the "poll".

If there has been a previous shark incident in the ocean, would you avoid diving?

No need for how many times or why, just say YES.

That way the OP will get the data he wants without any pesky comments or naysaying from SBers that may object to him using the board as a plank for his obvious motives.

Also notice how Foxfire refers to himself in the third person as the "OP", (to appear to be a neutral party) in this ridiculous poll.

Please do not vote in this poll!

Think carefully before voting.

Voting is a tacit way of showing that you're in agreement with the OP and want more shark culling.

Well, that's not going to happen. Especially with it being in the 41th post!

With all your assumptions, should I also assume I am spherical and in a vacuum? Data turns out better that way.

ScubaBoard - Scuba Diving Forum - Diving Social Network Statistics - Members: 238,562

Shark Poll (as of this posting): 23 votes (13 of which are the OP's recommended Null vote - one per week).

Statistical Significance of the Poll Results: Incalculable due to sample size error.

ScubaBoard - Scuba Diving Forum - Diving Social Network Statistics - Members: 238,562

Shark Poll (as of this posting): 23 votes (13 of which are the OP's recommended Null vote - one per week). Statistical Significance of the Poll Results: Incalculable due to sample size error.

Yes but...I've read the way that the OP USES data! Allow me to phrase an appropriate statement.

"In an independent survey of Scuba Divers on the world's largest online diver community, fully 100% of respondents agreed that they would never dive in an area that had a previous shark attack. This confirms my hypothesis that to save the tourist industry, the government of Western Australia should continue their policy of shark eradication."

Pure assumption on my part but I bet that he gets paid for this drivel.

So far we've got a bunch of suicidal divers champing at the bit to jump into an ocean teaming with man-eating sharks. Last week seven people got killed in shark attacks and I'm the government official charged with sorting out the mess. I've got an office full of grieving family members furious about the governments lack of action. Culling would be a very attractive option. Just as well that wasn't what I was angling for. :wink:

Last I checked, there is not an ocean teeming with man-eating sharks. Also - even lethal shark encounter (not attack) victim's families have joined in the protest AGAINST culling.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom