How many dives per year?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

85 dives in the 3 years since I got certed, half in the last 6 months (bought a drysuit and started working/making money).

All in saltwater (there´s any other kind?!)
There aren´t any good shore dives where I live so diving is a project and doing more then 2dives/day isn´t really an option even during summer when you´re diving wet, in warm water (17C/73 F).

Will pass my first 100 before summer´s over...(and take a rescue-class maybe a wreck or cave also)

Got my C-card last Sept and will have 30 dives after this weekend. 85% of these dives are in warm/saltwater in the Gulf of Mex. The only freshwater dives I have thus far have been at Vortex Springs(Ponce De Leone, FL). The majority of the dives come from shore dives in Pensacola and Gulf Shores to local wrecks and jeddies. However, I do have some offshore boat dives off Gulf Shores and Destin.

Looking to do MUCH better this year as I have more friends certified now and my biggest limiting problems are money(of course) and available dive buddies. The shore dives keep us diving cheap, but I can't do squat without a buddy.

I wish I had more disposable income...

I do between 65-100 dives per year, between the local lakes, the great lakes, and a great river close by, plus a trip or two a year.

Last couple of years I've done around 50 dives per yr. 100% salt water; missed going to Ginnie Springs this year, but hope to go soon.

Are all the exponential figures on this thread typical for the dive community, or is there a silent majority unwilling to admit that they get in 10 or 15 dives a year, and feel grateful that they can swing that much?

How about the warm-water divers who can't afford the time or cash to get somewhere tropical more than once a year?

As for me, I haven't ventured into cold-water diving yet. For me, the best thing about diving is seeing the reefs--I'm really into marine invertebrates, and diving helps me get closer to it all. I think I'd enjoy diving in Puget Sound, but I'm on the other side of the state, and I don't have dry suit expertise.

So, at this point I'm a minimum of 3 plane rides from the places I like to dive. This year I consider myself extremely fortunate: I'll probably get in about 20 dives (Palawan/Philippines, Kauii, Xcalak/Mexico, Sodwana Bay/South Africa). This is an exceptional year for me; usually I can't manage more than 5-10 dives.

A lot of places charge so much for a dive trip (and then expect a tip), which is another inhibitor. I think I'll try some shore diving in Kauii next week, but it's still not free!

Now I've vented a little. I know a few have confessed to lower numbers, but who else out there loves diving, but can't do hundreds of dives a year?

59 total dives from 1988 - 5/2003
87 dives from 5/2003 - present. With a trip to Vancouver Island scheduled in 1 week I am hoping to break the 100 dive mark in a year's time and then I plan on keeping this average in future years.

NWGratefulDiver:
In fact ... SnowBear, Uncle Pug, and I are leaving tomorrow morning for three days of diving in Vancouver Island ... :crafty:
... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Looks like I will be one week and one day behind you. I catch a flight to Vancouver Island on the 14th. Anybody plan on diving Vancouver lsland May 15th - 17th?

well last year 2003. 135 dives, all but one in Puget Sound. the one dive was done at a place in Midway, Utah. It was a underground warm water spring. 91deg. Max depth of the place is 65 feet. Some day I'll get to a warm water location.
untill then it's cold water diving for me.
cory

Well, I live in NJ so all of my dives are somewhere else.

I was certified in June 03 (PA quarry, man was it cold!) and have 35 dives as follows:

1) Four "check out" dives, PA quarry
2) 15 dives in the BVI’s in June 03
3) 14 dives in the Turks & Caico’s in March 04
4) 6 dives in Key Largo in April 04

I’m scheduled to be on the Aqua Cat in July where I’ll probably do another 20 dives over the course of a week.

That will probably be it until next year, unless one you invite me to go somewhere else!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom