how many dives is too much ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned a very reasonable way to make this kind of diving safer, which is to take a Nitrox class. Nitrox will reduce the nitrogen loading for a given profile, keeping you further from your no-deco limits. If you are doing multiple dives in a day, Nitrox is a very smart thing to do.

As long as the OP is defining his profile planning by "the rule was call it b4 10 min to deco" and subsequently violated the plan "we were 3 min from deco", I believe that the planning needs to be worked on and the mix of gas might only put him in a bigger jackpot.

Bob
---------------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

"the future is uncertain and the end is always near"
Jim Morrison

An item that stands out to me personally, based on my training is:

Multiple dives need to be progressively shallower.

Check out the article in DAN describing a workshop organised in 2000 and dedicated to reverse profiles.

The conclusions are:

The workshop concluded, after 289 pages of presentations and discussion: "...no convincing evidence was presented that reverse dive profiles within the no-decompression limits lead to a measurable increase in the risk of decompression sickness;" and "We find no reason for the diving communities to prohibit reverse dive profiles for no-decompression dives less than 130 feet / 40.6 meters and depth differentials less than 40 feet / 12.5 meters."

Thus, it has now been established, based on operational and theoretical data from more than 50 experts, that there is no PHYSIOLOGICAL basis for diving deep first. This means that there is, therefore, no evidence available to suggest an increased risk of DCS when doing a reverse dive profile versus diving deepest first.

I'll happily do 4-5 dives in a day if im on a liveaboard. I wouldn't do it for extended periods though and the profiles would help me decide (ie are they sawtooth etc).

Its not danerous as such - all down to personal assumption of risk.

My main issue after 4-5 dives a day is im freezing.

As long as the OP is defining his profile planning by "the rule was call it b4 10 min to deco" and subsequently violated the plan "we were 3 min from deco", I believe that the planning needs to be worked on and the mix of gas might only put him in a bigger jackpot.

Bob
---------------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

"the future is uncertain and the end is always near"
Jim Morrison

1st dive the plan was no deco and that was changed to 10 on subsequent dives , wow very interesting article by dan :)

oh went for an ECG , and a tear drop test and some other thing today to look for PFO and any other abnormalities , all was clear :) ,

so just to clarify , if i went again i could do all that again ? , but i would increase the sit times to 2 hours , and maybe grab a nap between one of the dives ?
No naps between dives! No exertion and some activity to keep the blood moving. A nap could mask symptoms of dcs and delay treatment.

Back
Top Bottom