How Many Divers Play Musical Instruments?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GDI

Artificer of Havoc & Kaos
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Ok just a thought here from a momemnt of curiosity....

How many of you divers out there play a musical instrument?
What Instrument or Instruments do you Play?

How long have you been playing?
Have you played Pro or just for fun?

What instruments do you own?

Example:

I play drums and general percussion. I have been playing since I was about 8 years old. I played professionally back in the late 70's early eighties and did some studio work. I have three drum sets An antique Raven set, a Ludwig set and a custom Set mixed of Ludwig and Pearl. I own congas and some other odd percussion stuff plus a Piano ( I do not play well the Piano) I did play Trombone for a while.

I own a drum set, and a few guitars.

I can play, Guitar, Bass, Keyboards, and Drums.

I have been a professional Sound Engineer for 20 years now, although I only gig a few times a year these days.

Here's a view from my office when I work...

spearhead1.jpg

Trombone since grade school. I have not played it much in the last 5 years ~

Been playing the guitar since age 15(29 years). I was good as a teen, but I currently play maybe for a couple of minutes, 1-2X per week.
I own more instruments than I care to list- used and given to me.
I have 3 girls and being able to play an instrument is one of the things that is pretty important to me for them. I won't "make" them play one, but by having several instruments around the house I can watch and see if they gravitate toward one, or more. We had an old warped neck Kay guitar laying around the house when I was growing up. I think it being there was what led me to play.
Now, I wonder what kind of music divers are most drawn to, hmm????
I discovered traditional New Orleans Jazz while there 8ish years ago. I hated jazz prior to that. Now it makes up at least 40% of my listening time and Louis Armstrong is hands down my all-time favorite musician.

Clarinet since grade school - used to do semi pro (orchestral work) now just play for fun. I own 5 different sizes from Eb (small, loud and obnoxious) to Bass Clarinet (large, and my current favorite) and a few spares for outside work. All are pro model Buffet's but the Bass which is a very old pro model Selmer 33 (the gold standard for Bass Clarinets).

Tenor Sax for 10 years or so - only so so on this instrument - I play in a Jazz band for fun in a supporting role. Have a reasonably good one that I have owned for almost 10 years Yamaha Y62.

Oboe - 3 years - and I am not very good at all on this one. One beginner model and one very good one a Loree.

My all consuming hobby - and you think diving is expensive!

Piano

Since 7 years old

FUN...

Piano

My GF.

Piano

Since 7 years old

PRO.. Piano major in the top leading music school.

Piano

Ok just a thought here from a momemnt of curiosity....

How many of you divers out there play a musical instrument?

Does owning 4 guitars and knowing three songs count as "playing an instrument"?

Own and play two acoustic guitars, a Strat and a Peavey electric. (also in possession of a Les Paul but my son will come and claim it soon)
Started when I was 18 on guitar. Played drums in the school band from grade 4 thru 9.
Played bass in a band for a couple years in the 70s...wedding receptions and drunken bashes....

Here's me and a few close friends at work. I'm playing one those big jobbies on the right.

Nov10-07.jpg

I've dabbled with classical guitar on and off, and I own one, but I haven't picked it up in quite a few years. I keep saying that when I retire, I'd like to take some more lessons, but not if it gets in the way of my diving :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom